Is my crested gecko enclosure to big?!?!?

Just1MoreBro

Hey to who ever is reading this post. I'm new to this whole thing. This is my very first crested gecko and I converted my 55 gallon standard aquarium into a bioactive terrarium.The crested gecko I now have is a baby I think. I was wondering if its enclosure is to large for it.

Temp source is a heating mat that keeps the top half of the enclosure at a solid 75°F
Humidity source is a fogger plus I mist once a day keeping the humidity between 70%-80%
For lighting I actually just use one of my aquarium programmable LED Light. White light during the day and I offset the blue light at night. When I say offset I mean the enclosure is pretty much dark with just a little blue light at the very top of the enclosure.

Attachments

• 20221012_160134.jpg
    20221012_160134.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome! How small is your gecko? Many people recommend putting baby crested geckos in pretty small enclosures to start with so they can find their food. When I was breeding them, I kept the hatchlings in a shoebox sized (6qt) tub. On the other hand, when I got my first crested gecko, at 1 month old, I put him directly into a 12"x12"x18" enclosure and now he's 16. What you may want to consider is to get a piece of plexiglass and cordon off a smaller part of the enclosure til he grows a little bigger. As far as lights go, I do use a light in the gecko cages that have plants, but since they're nocturnal, as long as there's ambient light in the room to distinguish between day and night, it's fine, so whatever lights you do use are OK too. Make sure the gecko isn't clinging to the wall on top of the heat mat because it may burn its feet.

Aliza

Just1MoreBro

Welcome! How small is your gecko? Many people recommend putting baby crested geckos in pretty small enclosures to start with so they can find their food. When I was breeding them, I kept the hatchlings in a shoebox sized (6qt) tub. On the other hand, when I got my first crested gecko, at 1 month old, I put him directly into a 12"x12"x18" enclosure and now he's 16. What you may want to consider is to get a piece of plexiglass and cordon off a smaller part of the enclosure til he grows a little bigger. As far as lights go, I do use a light in the gecko cages that have plants, but since they're nocturnal, as long as there's ambient light in the room to distinguish between day and night, it's fine, so whatever lights you do use are OK too. Make sure the gecko isn't clinging to the wall on top of the heat mat because it may burn its feet.

Aliza
I want to say my gecko is 3-4 inches

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If your gecko seems to be pooping (I guess it might be hard to tell in that size enclosure), eating and thriving, then it's fine. There's always the option to divide the enclosure temporarily as I mentioned above.

Aliza

Just1MoreBro

If your gecko seems to be pooping (I guess it might be hard to tell in that size enclosure), eating and thriving, then it's fine. There's always the option to divide the enclosure temporarily as I mentioned above.
It will be hard to divide the enclosure with the background I built. I feed him Repashy complete gecko diet. I put the food right in front of him so he can eat it. While also putting a few more drops of food around the enclosure. I also feed him 2-3 small to medium size crickets dipped in the food mixture.

Visit our friends