Is peat moss an okay substitute for sphagnum moss?

Futureboundexe

So i called every pet store within 2 hours and not a single one carries sphagnum moss but the local home depot has peat moss, no chemicals whatsoever added. Would this be okay to use in my little Lentil’s moist hide?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here's some information I found about peat and sphagnum moss from the internet (link provided below):

"Peat moss is sometimes called sphagnum peat moss because much of the dead material in a peat bog comes from sphagnum moss that grew on top of the bog. Don’t confuse sphagnum peat moss with sphagnum moss, which is made up of long, fibrous strands of plant material. Florists use sphagnum moss to line wire baskets or add a decorative touch to potted plants."

Read more at Gardening Know How: Peat Moss And Gardening – Information About Sphagnum Peat Moss https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/peat-moss-information.htm

As far as I can tell, the peat moss is the remains of what was once live sphagnum moss. Instead of either moss, think about using coco fiber (also called eco-earth) It's sold in compressed bricks that you soak in water to make it look more like dirt (it's not dirt). Even if they ingest some of it, I think it's safer because it's not long strands like the moss is. I've been using this in my humid hides for the past 15 years or more and no gecko has had a problem with it.

Aliza

Futureboundexe

Here's some information I found about peat and sphagnum moss from the internet (link provided below):

"Peat moss is sometimes called sphagnum peat moss because much of the dead material in a peat bog comes from sphagnum moss that grew on top of the bog. Don’t confuse sphagnum peat moss with sphagnum moss, which is made up of long, fibrous strands of plant material. Florists use sphagnum moss to line wire baskets or add a decorative touch to potted plants."

Read more at Gardening Know How: Peat Moss And Gardening – Information About Sphagnum Peat Moss https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/peat-moss-information.htm

As far as I can tell, the peat moss is the remains of what was once live sphagnum moss. Instead of either moss, think about using coco fiber (also called eco-earth) It's sold in compressed bricks that you soak in water to make it look more like dirt (it's not dirt). Even if they ingest some of it, I think it's safer because it's not long strands like the moss is. I've been using this in my humid hides for the past 15 years or more and no gecko has had a problem with it.

Aliza
Huh, i didnt even know that was an option. Thank you!

Futureboundexe

Aliza
Okay bought a bag of zoo-med eco earth, how often should I change it out in his moist hide?

Climbers mom

So i called every pet store within 2 hours and not a single one carries sphagnum moss but the local home depot has peat moss, no chemicals whatsoever added. Would this be okay to use in my little Lentil’s moist hide?
I've tried the sphagnum moss & had an issue with a little mold & mess so I've switched to using wetting paper towels with warm water & placing in my gecko's moist hide. I wet it every 2 or 3 days & place the hide on his heat mat so it stays nice & warm/moist. He loves it so much he never leaves. Just a suggestion.

Visit our friends