Is there anything I can do to make my gecko less stressed?

NeilTheLeopardGecko

Hey everyone, I have an adult 5 year old leopard gecko named Neil. I recently decided to change his substrate to a homemade mixture substrate. Here’s what’s in the mixture:
•Scotts premium top soil
•Moss (two or three different kinds, I believe)
•Play sand
•Leaf litter
There’s also a drainage layer
i did add isopods into the tank as well. There were plenty of babies in the package that I bought from the pet store so I just decided to add them in. I’ve been searching for days trying to figure out if I should add the isopods and mixture in a separate container to let the colony establish or just to add them to the tank. I couldn’t find a right answer.

Neil has been glass surfing and trying to get out of the tank since I put him back in. I’ve removed about half of the substrate and placed down paper towels so he can feel a bit more comfortable. He goes into his hide, and then comes out, then goes back in.

Should I be worried or is he just trying to get used to his new environment? Anything I can do to help?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It does take a gecko awhile to get comfortable. I would give him more time. Note that isopods do best in a moist environment, so they may not thrive in a leopard gecko enclosure (they may cluster around the water bowl).

Aliza

Visit our friends