Is this safe?

LoveReps

I have a waterproof reptile uth with an adhesive side that I havent used at all yet. I want it inside the tank so I tested it by putting it inside a spare tank and after a while I checked it and it was the perfect temp for him, however, the uth was putting off a smell presumably from the adhesive warming up. Would this harm my python? The reason I want it inside the tank is because I'm due for a new uth and everytime I put one under the tank it doesn't warm the bottom of the tank hardly at all no matter the wattage or size. I've never used an uth with an adhesive side so thats why I'm asking.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you put it under the tank and put a layer of aluminum foil over it (so it's sandwiched between the tank and the foil) then more heat will be directed upwards. I worry sometimes about putting the heater inside the tank, but I guess if you really want to do it that way it might be OK as long as you're not misting it. Also, I have found that the adhesive backed UTH's seem to take a couple of days to get up to top heat. A better solution if you haven't bought it yet is to get ZooMed heat cable which is made to go inside an enclosure if necessary and can be taped down (best results with Nashua tape) and untaped and moved later as opposed to the adhesive ones which are supposed to lost their effectiveness once they've been pulled up.

Aliza

LoveReps

Yeah i made sure it was waterproof beforehand. I will try the foil thing although since I'm switching from a glass tank to a bin it might work better. If that doesn't work I'll buy some heat cable because I planned to buy that in the first place but I couldn't think of the name for it :rolleyes: thank you.

Visit our friends