Is using a dehumidifier in a gecko tank OK?

Sam14

I’ve been having a serious problem with humidity in my gecko tank the past week and have been working to fix it. My room humidity is just too high. I’ve tried dehumidifiers in the tank that are usually put in closets (which I have heard are safe) and they did not work. I decided to get a dehumidifier that cycles the air to ensure that the tank stays in between 30 and 40% humidity. I sanitized it before putting it in. Is there any issue with having this running? I attached a picture of the enclosure. For reference, the tank has been up to 70% and is usually around 50-60%. Don’t worry, my gecko hasn’t been in these conditions for very long. The season has changed, bringing lots of humidity all of a sudden. I’ve only had the gecko for a few months so this is the first time I have experienced this high humidity.

Attachments

• 6E3065CA-856D-4BF9-8043-FC0B5E2C7509.jpeg
    6E3065CA-856D-4BF9-8043-FC0B5E2C7509.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
Have you had any issues related to humidity yet? Have you tried a simple fan gently blowing over the tank to circulate the air? I'm not sure this is going to be a huge issue for you and I'm inclined to say don't worry about it until there's an issue. I know pet stores with aquariums that can have really high relative humidity pretty much constantly. I don't think it adversely affects desert animals like beardies or leopard geckos

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't think there's anything wrong with having the dehumidifier in there but I also don't think ending up with high humidity is such a problem. I live in New England without AC and in the summer the humidity gets quite high but everyone does OK. I think high humidity is different from misting the enclosure which causes a humidity spike that probably isn't good for leopard geckos.

Aliza

Sam14

Have you had any issues related to humidity yet? Have you tried a simple fan gently blowing over the tank to circulate the air? I'm not sure this is going to be a huge issue for you and I'm inclined to say don't worry about it until there's an issue. I know pet stores with aquariums that can have really high relative humidity pretty much constantly. I don't think it adversely affects desert animals like beardies or leopard geckos
Do you mean that the humidity is not a huge issue or are you talking about using the dehumidifier? I haven’t had any issues with my gecko due to humidity yet, but I’ve heard they can get respiratory diseases when humidity goes above 40%. The problem with the fan option is that my room is the issue. It would be circulating equally as humid air into the tank.

Sam14

I don't think there's anything wrong with having the dehumidifier in there but I also don't think ending up with high humidity is such a problem. I live in New England without AC and in the summer the humidity gets quite high but everyone does OK. I think high humidity is different from misting the enclosure which causes a humidity spike that probably isn't good for leopard geckos.

Aliza
Ok thanks for the info. I’ve just seen so many sources that have said that having the humidity above 40% is bad. They are likely just using the humidity range of thier natural habitat and not considering that geckos would be ok in other ranges. I guess if geckos are proven to be ok with higher humidity, I feel safe leaving the tank as is.

Visit our friends