JMG hatches first TRIPLE gene African Fat-Tail!

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
Huge congrats to JMG on hatching a Whiteout Caramel Zulu! This goes to show just how much potential the AFT market has! I cannot wait to see some of the quad gene animals that will surely be coming up in the near future!
*Image property of JMG Reptiles,page found here:http://jmgreptile.com/morphupdates.html

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
How is it inherited? Just like if it was an aberrant, or granite. It wouldnt be a 5 gene animal if it was an Abberant or Granite striped Caramel Zulu Whiteout, just my opnion.

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
It is believed to be a dominant mutation. I know there have been some reports of non-striped pairings producing Stripes. I really have no explanation for that. I personally believe it to be a true dominant mutation. But because of it prominence, I don't see it as being something besides normal.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
It is believed to be a dominant mutation. I know there have been some reports of non-striped pairings producing Stripes. I really have no explanation for that. I personally believe it to be a true dominant mutation. But because of it prominence, I don't see it as being something besides normal.

I have produced stripes from two banded parents.

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
ok so let's put this into simpler terms. A super hyp tangerine carrot tail baldy is just a line bred trait, but since it's not dominant or recessive you wouldn't classifiy it as a genetic trait? I think your understanding of genetics is terribly flawed. Just my opinion.

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
there are other modes of inheritance besides Dominant and Recessive. Some examples of these are Sex-limited, Sex-linked (like manx cats), Modifier genes, Polygenic additive, Variable expression, Incomplete penetrance, Polygenic recessive or dominant, Mixed polygenic. There are more modes than this but these are ones that I know of. So is it a genetic trait...yes it is. But it also doesn't have to be either dominant or recessive to be a genetic trait either.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
ok so let's put this into simpler terms. A super hyp tangerine carrot tail baldy is just a line bred trait, but since it's not dominant or recessive you wouldn't classifiy it as a genetic trait? I think your understanding of genetics is terribly flawed. Just my opinion.

It was simple to begin with. Maybe my examples weren't the best. But I just dont see the stripe as a "morph".

It's a "wild-type". Fat tails are different because they are found both stripe and banded in the wild and it takes no real work to produce a striped fatty.

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
But I just dont see the stripe as a "morph".

It's a "wild-type". Fat tails are different because they are found both stripe and banded in the wild and it takes no real work to produce a striped fatty.

Exactly. I can get striped caramel albino's out of 2 non striped parents. So IF the stripe is it's own "morph", then are a "caramel albino" and a "striped caramel albino" TWO different morphs? Is a "ghost" a separate morph than a "striped ghost morph"? etc...etc....down the line. That would mean that every fat tail is two different morphs if it had a stripe or not.

snared99

Luxurious Leopards

Actually the hypo in the SHCT is dominant, not making the complete make up of a SHCT line bred.

Wild West Reptile

So IF the stripe is it's own "morph", then are a "caramel albino" and a "striped caramel albino" TWO different morphs? Is a "ghost" a separate morph than a "striped ghost morph"? etc...etc....down the line. That would mean that every fat tail is two different morphs if it had a stripe or not.

I'm still waiting to hear from Retribution who stated that a stripe should be counted as it's own morph or someone who actually has been breeding and selling them.

JMGreptile

Even though the stripe morph in fat tails exists in the wild on a large scale doesn't really mean it should not be counted. If there were a population of a certain species of animal which half were patternless then should the patternless not be counted as a morph simply because they are considered a common genetic pattern variation of the wild type? Out of hundreds of babies produced from banded to banded parents we have never produced a stripe. The stripe is proven to be a straight dominant trait with the heterozygous and homozygous having no visual differences. When you breed a homozygous stripe to a normal banded you will produce all stripes that are heterozygous. Our original White out male we produced was produced from generations of line breeding striped fat tails. He turned out to be homozygous striped and it actually took us two years to produce a banded white out because we had to raise the heterozygous striped white outs and breed them back to normal banded fats. If you have all banded fat tails of a particular morph you won't get stripes unless one of the parents is striped.

Some people may have different opinions on this but if you don't want to consider the stripe a separate morph that is okay by me. I like the non striped White out zulu caramel a lot more than the striped version. It's also fairly easy to produce stripes in fat tail morphs since so many people incorporate a lot of stripes into their breeding projects. I do agree with line bred traits like granite, tangerine, or calico not being considered separate genetic gene's since they are easy to incorporate. Also
I am not trying to say the striped versions of morphs like caramel albinos should be considered separate morphs from the non striped version. They are simply striped caramel albinos or regular caramel albinos and people list them that way too. Same with all other existing morphs. If anyone remembers when patternless were released the striped patternless were more desired and went for $500.00 more then non striped patternless and the striped hets cost more than the regular banded hets.

Some people also think of line bred traits nothing more than line bred traits and that can equal over looking potential of producing really outrageous morphs when working with certain projects. Also like Travis posted there is more than just recessive, incomplete dominant, co-dom, dominant, and polygenetic and some people will quickly right off certain traits working a certain way simply because they don't fully understand them and there hasn't been enough time devoted to proving the genetics.

Wild West Reptile

I am not trying to say the striped versions of morphs like caramel albinos should be considered separate morphs from the non striped version. They are simply striped caramel albinos or regular caramel albinos and people list them that way too.

So they are NOT separate morphs and should not be counted as such. Thank you for clearing this up for me. I think some people are a little confused when it comes to the subject. I was under the impression that they were not separate. BTW...keep up the insane work you are doing creating some of my dream combos! Insane guys.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Im confused now, I thought domianant genes had no heterozygous? The striped allele or gene is either expressed in the geckos phenotype or it doesnt carry the gene at all...

Last edited:

Visit our friends