JMG hatches first TRIPLE gene African Fat-Tail!

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
Im confused now, I thought domianant genes had no heterozygous? The striped allele or gene is either expressed in the geckos phenotype or it doesnt carry the gene at all...

I think what he is saying that that there is the homzygous and heterozygous striped animals. Both display a stripe, as it is a dominant gene. Like a Spider Ball or Pinstripe Ball.
I think Stripe should be considered an independent trait. Look at Zeros and Stingers and what the Stripe does to them?

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
Out of hundreds of babies produced from banded to banded parents we have never produced a stripe. When you breed a homozygous stripe to a normal banded you will produce all stripes that are heterozygous. If you have all banded fat tails of a particular morph you won't get stripes unless one of the parents is striped.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Because I know for a fact that you would get around 50% stripes breeding a stripe to a non stripe and I also know that there have been AFT's hatched with stripes from two non-striped parents.

I know Pat can verify this, anyone else have any experience with this?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
I think what he is saying that that there is the homzygous and heterozygous striped animals. Both display a stripe, as it is a dominant gene.

So what your saying is there is no difference between a Stripe (het.) and a Super Stripe (homozygous)...??

So how is it poss. to produce stripes from banded parents??...

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™

Because I know for a fact that you would get around 50% stripes breeding a stripe to a non stripe and I also know that there have been AFT's hatched with stripes from two non-striped parents.

I have produced stripes from banded parents.

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
It's also interesting that they have tried to hatch a double het Amel something else and failed but other people have succeeded!

JMGreptile

All Dominant traits have a heterozygous and homozygous form that are indistinguishable phenotypically. A homozygous stripe bred to a banded produces all stripes and a heterozygous stripe bred to a banded produces on average half banded and half striped offspring. Breeding two banded fat tails together produces all banded offspring unless the female retained sperm from a striped male she was previously with. We have never produced a striped baby from any banded X banded pairings.

The original amel is lethal with most existing traits. Any breeder who has bred albinos to patternless, white outs, and zeros knows this. Who has succeeded at producing a DBL het combo that we said was lethal?

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
Breeding two banded fat tails together produces all banded offspring unless the female retained sperm from a striped male she was previously with. We have never produced a striped baby from any banded X banded pairings.

Are you saying that if you take a female banded caramel albino that's never been bred and breed it to a banded caramel albino that you will NOT get any striped caramel albinos??? There are several breeders that say they HAVE produced stripes from this exact pairing. Am I misunderstanding you maybe?

JMGreptile

If the stripe is a straight dominant trait producing a stripe from two banded fat tails would of course be impossible. From hundreds of babies from banded to banded we have never produced a stripe, I know Steve Sykes had the same results as us and also said he determined it to be a dominant trait. Which 7 breeders produced stripes from banded caramel to banded caramel?

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
It's also interesting that they have tried to hatch a double het Amel something else and failed but other people have succeeded!

I know of breeders that claimed to have done this 5+ years ago and failed or given up on producing the visual homozygous form. It will be interesting to see if there are visuals on these in the next year or two.

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member

Hmmmm...... Pat, can you verify this?

supperl

G.Man <- ask HJ
What makes me wonder is that big breeders that tried to do it always failed (amel* whatever and Banded*Banded =Striped). If it were pos. why haven´t it worked at JMG or Geckosetc? That makes me wonder.
Also for the Patternless Amel, the Patty is around for several years and I would expect their should be an Patty amel already but their is not. So why does it take so long?
Only bad luck? I bet at the beginning all breeders with a patty tried this pairing(I would have done it when the patty was new).

For the White Out het Amel, I know the guy in Asia and from what he says he couldn´t have done a mistake but that the female was been breed in the USA before. We made the deal, if he hatches a White Out Amel I will buy his amel male... ;-)

So I just wait and until I see a Patty amel or a white out amel hatch, I believe JMG :)

Azazel

What makes me wonder is that big breeders that tried to do it always failed (amel* whatever and Banded*Banded =Striped). If it were pos. why haven´t it worked at JMG or Geckosetc? That makes me wonder.
Also for the Patternless Amel, the Patty is around for several years and I would expect their should be an Patty amel already but their is not. So why does it take so long?
Only bad luck? I bet at the beginning all breeders with a patty tried this pairing(I would have done it when the patty was new).

For the White Out het Amel, I know the guy in Asia and from what he says he couldn´t have done a mistake but that the female was been breed in the USA before. We made the deal, if he hatches a White Out Amel I will buy his amel male... ;-)
So I just wait and until I see a Patty amel or a white out amel hatch, I believe JMG :)
Oh boy here we go again LOL!

Before anyone states that the males (amels) I have are infact caramels, they have been tested with hets for amels and amels since last season. And they have been proven to produce amels. But I could be one of those lucky few in the world that may have bought caramels as amels in every shipment for the past years for peanuts. ;)

Anyway, the gestation period of the animal I bred seems to match those with her Malaysian boyfriends. And I do not have any knowledge whatsoever whether she had been bred in USA prior to reaching me in Malaysia. Solely from my memory, I believe she is a virgin. But only Thad could confirm this info.

And you should remember that there's another guy in Asia (the Philippines) claiming to have bred and produced whiteout het amels too. About 3 months or so after I showed mine. And both animals (whiteouts & amels) were claimed to have originated from JMG. At least only 1/2 of my pairing originated from JMG (thru Thad).

The biggest one I have is roughly 25g now. I wonder whether she would be ready before end on 2011. ;)

Last edited:

Azazel

To me, stripes look good on everything except stingers and zulus.

And I sincerely think that this will be the best discussion regarding aft in this forum. :)

Last edited:

supperl

G.Man <- ask HJ
Firdaus my friend, as said from what you said their is no way a mistake could have happen and in my opinion the only way would be that the female had been breed before. Thats why I said I would buy the male amel when the first White Out amel hatches ;-)

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
Again, I will believe it when I see it :) I really hope it happens, but I agree with Thorsten that this has been tried before and there has never been any visuals produced.

snared99

Luxurious Leopards
Yes we do have a amel het patty, from patty to amel breeding. Now we are going to test breed this male to make sure the female was not retaining sperm, but all other offspring from this gal in that season did not make it. For grins i have done this project with one or two females every year with no success, but we will see what this animals does. Like I said we need to test the male and the orinignal male used. But it is atleast something...lol

And on the stripe topic- I have hatched a stripe from banded parents, but I beleive in what Jeff stated. That there can be visual hets that are not distinguishable from normal banded, thus the stripe pops up.

Visit our friends