JMG hatches first TRIPLE gene African Fat-Tail!

Azazel

Not even whiteouts het amels? Another large scale breeder in USA tried. But he only managed to get normals het amels and not whiteouts. Frankly, after much debates here and there, I'm beginning to doubt the feat myself LOL! But yeah, eventhough I tried this pairing with no aims whatsoever except just to see what happen, I am hoping some visuals will appear in the near future, especially from my own breeding efforts :)

By the way, this question still remain unanswered - were any breeding efforts attempted before sending her to me Thad?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
I said several.

Look 5 posts up for one of them...(Imperial geckos). I also know that Pat from Luxurious has produced stripes from 2 banded parents.

Ive never said I produced Striped Caramels from two banded ones. I have produced Stripes from a normal Banded group. Could they have retained sperm?? Possibly. I'll be breeding the same group again this year, they were only with a banded male last year.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
As for the Amel combos...I believe everything is possible. Even if it has failed 100 times in the past. A breeder in Canada, Henry Piorun, just hatched a Albino/Lucy Carpet from breeding a het. Albino Jaguar Carpet to a Jaguar Carpet..How many breeders tried the jag x jag cross with no success on the lucy???....So i wouldnt doubt that sooner or later the Amel combos will start to work.

Only time will tell!!!

Azazel

Henry did what?! I have not been in the python scene for 3 years now. And more and more cool stuffs are coming out. This is awesome!

By any chance you got the link for that one Alex? Thanks in advance. :)

Azazel

Thanks Alex :)

snared99 said:
Yes we do have a amel het patty, from patty to amel breeding. Now we are going to test breed this male to make sure the female was not retaining sperm, but all other offspring from this gal in that season did not make it. For grins i have done this project with one or two females every year with no success, but we will see what this animals does. Like I said we need to test the male and the orinignal male used. But it is atleast something...lol

And on the stripe topic- I have hatched a stripe from banded parents, but I beleive in what Jeff stated. That there can be visual hets that are not distinguishable from normal banded, thus the stripe pops up.

JMGreptile said:
All Dominant traits have a heterozygous and homozygous form that are indistinguishable phenotypically. A homozygous stripe bred to a banded produces all stripes and a heterozygous stripe bred to a banded produces on average half banded and half striped offspring. Breeding two banded fat tails together produces all banded offspring unless the female retained sperm from a striped male she was previously with. We have never produced a striped baby from any banded X banded pairings.

The original amel is lethal with most existing traits. Any breeder who has bred albinos to patternless, white outs, and zeros knows this. Who has succeeded at producing a DBL het combo that we said was lethal?

I think what Jeff meant was that since the mutation is dominant, we can't differentiate between the homozygous and the heterozygous form of stripes via our naked eyes. You need to breed them in order to know - the homo will give you 100% stripes while the het will give you 50% stripes whenever they are bred to a banded.

Banded + Banded = Stripe seems to suggest that the gene might be recessive/codominate too. Personally I have never gotten any stripes from two banded parents before but who knows what will happen in the future right... :)

Last edited:

Lecko my Gecko

ok my 2 cents LOL I have been working on the patty x amel project for about 4 years now and have no double hets however from a patty male x "virgin" amel het white socks I got 3 amels and 2 stinger type babies, all stinger types died in the eggs one amel died in the egg, one I helped out of the egg, it died 2 days later and I have one amel female that is now a year old and will be bred back to the patty male this coming year. so 1 living gecko out of 4 yrs of work and several different females, amels and hets. why the amels were produced for the cross I have no idea, but hopefully time will tell! good luck to all that are still trying!

JdiLb

No, parents were most likely....Whiteout het. Caramel het. Zulu x het. Caramel het. Zulu... It is a Double Recessive + Co-dom combo

Thank you.

So it's something like this?
"Whiteout het. Caramel het. Zulu"
whiteout x caramel = wc x cz = Wcz - whiteout/caramel phenotype with recessive zulu x cz = Wcz phenotype?

(het. caramel x het . zulu) caramel zulu
cz x cz
Whiteout is co-dom. so it doesn't need to exist in the second mate?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
The Caramel and Zulu are both recessive traits. So they can not be reproduced first generation. The Whiteout is Co-dom gene, meaning it can be reproduced first generation theoretically, half the babies going out Whiteout and the others normal.

In order to produce this combo, one can breed a few different things to get it.

First you can breed a Whiteout Caramel x Zulu...From that breeding you will get...50% Whiteout 100% double het. Caramel Zulu and 50% 100% double het. Caramel Zulu. You would then have to breed two babies from that years breeding....

Whiteout 100% double het. Caramel Zulu x 100% double het. Caramel Zulu...there is (I believe) a 1/32 chance to produce a Whiteout Caramel Zulu.

Hope this helps!

JdiLb

The Caramel and Zulu are both recessive traits. So they can not be reproduced first generation. The Whiteout is Co-dom gene, meaning it can be reproduced first generation theoretically, half the babies going out Whiteout and the others normal.

In order to produce this combo, one can breed a few different things to get it.

First you can breed a Whiteout Caramel x Zulu...From that breeding you will get...50% Whiteout 100% double het. Caramel Zulu and 50% 100% double het. Caramel Zulu. You would then have to breed two babies from that years breeding....

Whiteout 100% double het. Caramel Zulu x 100% double het. Caramel Zulu...there is (I believe) a 1/32 chance to produce a Whiteout Caramel Zulu.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, makes a lot more sense now. :)

Visit our friends