Just curious…is my setup ok?

sydnehh

Heya! V new to all this but have done a ton of research! Got a gecko today after overhyping ages and switching vivariums until I found this one with a gecko! The setup I have is a 3 1/2ft vivarium, wooden with a 2ft glass window at the top! I have a ceramic heater, a heat mat, a red bulb for night and a normal light for lighting! Just curious to if I can rest my ceramic heater on the glass (it’s obviously in a heat dome) and when I should turn it on/off! Regardless how much research I’ve done I really really don’t want to get this wrong!

Rydikulus Reptiles

Hi there! You're definitely on the right track!

The first thing I'd recommend is removing the red light immediately. Colored lights are terrible for a leopard gecko's eyes! Your leopard gecko should ideally be in a 30+ gallon enclosure, with a lot of decor cluttered about, as they will get stressed if left in large, open spaces. Fake plants from any craft store, cork bark, drift wood, chollo wood, manzanita branches, and other non-toxic hides are highly recommended to fill the tank up with some clutter. Leopard geckos also like to climb, so providing them with numerous decor items can help stimulate that behavior and provide essential enrichment!

On the Rydikulus Reptiles Facebook page, we have a "Files" tab that outlines everything you need to know about leopard gecko care and husbandry. It's organized in an easy-to-understand manner, so you don't get overwhelmed with all the information.

Also feel free to DM me if you have any other questions or concerns! I love to help people who are new to the hobby :)

-Rai

sydnehh

@rydikuluareptiles
Hi there! You're definitely on the right track!

The first thing I'd recommend is removing the red light immediately. Colored lights are terrible for a leopard gecko's eyes! Your leopard gecko should ideally be in a 30+ gallon enclosure, with a lot of decor cluttered about, as they will get stressed if left in large, open spaces. Fake plants from any craft store, cork bark, drift wood, chollo wood, manzanita branches, and other non-toxic hides are highly recommended to fill the tank up with some clutter. Leopard geckos also like to climb, so providing them with numerous decor items can help stimulate that behavior and provide essential enrichment!

On the Rydikulus Reptiles Facebook page, we have a "Files" tab that outlines everything you need to know about leopard gecko care and husbandry. It's organized in an easy-to-understand manner, so you don't get overwhelmed with all the information.

Also feel free to DM me if you have any other questions or concerns! I love to help people who are new to the hobby :)

-Rai
Hi! sorry i havent replied sooner! i have NEVER used the light as i have always read what you said! Honestly she is SPOILT when it comes to decor!! she loves it and is just the best! shes eating like a beast and is as happy as larry! thanlyou so much!!

Visit our friends