Just got our leopard gecko today!!!

Engine546

Hi everyone,
We got our gecko today. He is a pretty cool gecko. My son named him speedy because the little guy is fast. Speedy is 6 months old. The lady at the store said we should only feed his small crickets because of his size. I wanted to see if its ok we can try something else or should we just stay with the crickets. We were thinking trying meal worms. Thank you for your time and for the help

D6135D8C-EE86-421A-BAE9-CB46EC398E4D.jpeg

2D860B4A-B168-4C46-9DA1-E1FE34A7B878.jpeg

GeckoNoviceTyler

VERY Cool Colors!!!! They told us small crickets as well. After about 5 days, he was more comfortable and curious. So we dropped a medium size mealworm in his tank a few inches in front of him. He gobbled it up!!! Our Bliz the Liz was about the same size when we got him. We do 4-5 small-medium crickets, and a few mealworms depending on size, for extra fat content each evening. We have had him for 11 days now. We didn't realize how under weight he was at the pet store. He has grown noticeably larger and looks much healthier. He also is much more active and curious. I hope that helps!!! I think the most important thing, is that you try different things for yourself. Everyone has advice, not all of it is good!! You will quickly catch on to their likes, dislikes, how they like to hunt, ect... For Example, Bliz loves mealworms, but spits out superworms lol he's a picky worm hunter!!
GOOD LUCK!!!

GeckoNoviceTyler

Oh and I also found out that the crickets will follow him into his hide for warmth and if they get irritated, they will BITE!! So don't leave them in the enclosure. We put them in when it gets dark. If he doesn't eat them all, we check the hides and take the survivors back out before school each morning. Around 5:30am.

TexAg91

Just make sure you are vitamin/calcium/d3 supplementing appropriately. Also consider gut-loading your feeders, if you aren't already. BugBurger is nice and a bottle makes quite a bit of gel. Scrap carrots, a little potato, and other such vegetables a good also. Just pull them if they get moldy/rotten.

Visit our friends