Just got some Hainanensis

ReptileWorld

Hey everyone just picked up my first pair of cave geckos. I have seen them for sale from time to time and always shied away because i didn't know much about them. Recently at the last white plains show I seen a pair for sale and it was within my range so I got them!

I have a few questions for those of you that do keep them.

What type of substrate do you guys keep them on? I was told the seller had them on multch so I now have them on multch.

Do you just keep it humid by misting often or do you seal up part of their lid? I am just using a screen top right now.

To maintain a decent tempature is a heat pad ok for them?

I breed dubia and all of my animals are on news paper and feed on the dubia's well like that. I know if I toss dubia on mulch they will just burrow. so how do some of you do it? in fact what do you guys feed them in general?

Also handling? I read you shouldn't do to stressing them out but sometimes they just need to be moved for cleaning and what not. I held mine at the show with no worry, but once home and puting them into their enclosure one of them hissed when i nudged him. he didnt get aggressive and attack or attempt to bite just a hiss. I only ask because I have a son that helps with the animals and should i be surprised if one of the cave geckos nips him?

last but not least do they require a next box of some sort? they do have a hide place a large coco hut ( thinking about getting a cave for them ) and over the hut i have a cork chunk laid over the hut. it looks cool kinda like a double hide, it keeps them dark during the day away from the light.

any info would be a huge help thanks in advance

-Dee

geckomaster

Cool, congrats on your first pair of cave geckos! These guys are real easy as long as you follow a couple of basic rules. Humidity is key! I'd seal off the top to help with this. I use eco-earth/bed-a-beast, or any other cheap coconut based substrate as it holds the moisture very well. Misting is important depending on how sealed the tank is. Mine are all in plastic containers which holds moisture week long, but if you have them in a more viewer friendly terrarium more misting will probably be required. Don't worry about a heat pack as these guys do well at room temp. Mine chill in the low 60's in the winter and get up into the low 80's tops during the summer, but the average temp is whatever room is so bet on mid 70's and you'll be fine. Cave geckos are shy and handling is iffy, but the bigger ones like hainanensis and luii are more tolerable to it and your son may get a nip, but the same can be said with leopard geckos. Hope that helps and enjoy your new geckos.

Visit our friends