krcd.com stealing pics!

J

Jedi Master Bruce

Yah, most of us are here because GeckoForums. net is not like fauna.

Thanks Robin,
I had never thought to do that. When I bought my aptor from Ron Tremper I used his photo to show in a forum, I did say I was getting him from Ron. But I never thought of it as stealing his photo. I was just happy to be getting him. So I wanted to show him off. But if you look at the photos as more art than ad I can see your point. I should have asked when I was purchasing if I could use a photo to show off. I know probably any breeder would be more than happy to let anyone of us use a photo of something we were spending alot of money on to also help them advertise. I would never take just some photo off someones site just to show a photo around or use in my own site or ad.
Thanks again Robin fro the excellent answer to my question.

Jedi you are very wise in so many ways. Excellent comment, also!!

Thanks,
Scott

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Yep, excellent advice there.

Most breeders (in my experience) are more than happy to allow you to show off your newly purchased animal if you just ask.

What gets people's feathers really ruffled is when you use a photo that's not yours, without permission, to MAKE MONEY selling a separate animal. It's the making money from your work that really upsets people, and that's also the part that they could take you to court for if they felt like it.

Had this guy come on and just said "I removed the photos...my importer sent them to me to use as temps and I didn't know they belonged to someone else" I wouldn't have batted an eye. I would have made sure he knew it was stealing and left it at that. But the fact is he came here with a blatant disregard for other people's property, belittled this site and the members, and managed to get pretty much all the copyright laws wrong (while telling US we need to get the laws straight and talk to a lawyer) at the same time. That's why I have no desire to buy from him. He may or may not known the photos were stolen, but his posts made it obvious that he really doesn't care. For me, that's a problem.

Paul, I wouldn't think less of you for buying from them. That's your deal, and you have to decide what you're willing to look past. To some people, this is just a small problem; to others (like me) this is not an issue to take lightly.

N

nora

here's a the deal for anyone who is building a website/internet business... if you (in general) need pictures, try to take them yourself.. if you cant find the picture you need, then you don't need it for your site...copyright infringement is a very very touchy subject and can be loosely interpreted and used against a person like no one's business...

as far as the pictures used by KCRD.. yes that was extremely stupid on your part.. dont trust anyone who sends you pictures "via email" because you dont know where those pictures came from and you dont know who owns them.. the last thing you want is to get involved with someone who hold a lot of cards in their hand and take you and your business down because of one or 2 images that are not yours... Use some common sense!!!

secondly.. there's nothing wrong with aquiring w/c animals IMHO because one doesnt know what's going to happen to the animal whether it's a w/c or c/b animal....its all a game of chances...

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
On the subject of WC... I would LOVE to get my hands on a wild caught leopard gecko to outcross all the 'new' inbred morphs with. Importation of WC reptiles is OK with me, but unless they are acclimated properly can develop serious metabolic, immune system, and other stress related problems.

W

www.KCRD.com

Why can't I take my own photos?

This is a good question. Most of the time I do take my own photos. The only time I don't take my own photos is when a)I am brokering animals for someone and they are drop shipping them for me b)I have imported animals coming my way but there may be a delay in getting them or c)I am out of space for more animals at my facility and the importer/breeder keeps them and drop ships them for me until I have room for more animals.

This particular importer supplies me photos all the time, I have been doing business with him for 3 years and this is the first time anyone has said anything about any of the photos he has supplied me.

Can we stop with the name calling and such? There really is no reason to call anyone stupid here. It was a simple mistake. I get emails from Kingsnake trolls all the time acting as the internet police. Wanting to correct me on my ads and such. I had a guy tell me the tortoises I was selling in an ad last year were stolen and he was going to turn me into the authorities. If he would have done a little research he would have found out that the turtles were infact still with the owner and I was simply brokering them for him. So if I came across a little bitter in the beginning of this thread this is why, I get one valid email from the "Internet Police" out of about every 100 emails.

S

silentjohn

www.KCRD.com said:
. It was a simple mistake. .
Maybe so, but most don't have a problem with the "mistake" (for sake of letting it go). The problem is you posting several times that , in effect...."hey it's hard to prove something is copyrighted, so I guess I'm not doing anything wrong", "they aren't officially registered (though they are automatically copyrighted upon development/publication) so go ahead and sue, maybe you'll be countersued because you didn't officially register the photo"..............paraphrasing obviously, but that's the gist of what many find offensive and unethical. Not the "mistake" that you eventually admitted.

BTW, your last post explaining why the mistake happened in the first place, is one of the reasons many people have a problem with brokers to begin with.
"don't have the animal, can't take photos", "never possessed the animal, had no way of knowing it was sick, and tick infested" etc. etc. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but in your last couple posts you seem baffled that everyone has a problem with your mistake, just trying to point out that while "mistakes" happen, it's your excuses, or justification posts that have people bunched up.

N

nora

The only time I don't take my own photos is when a)I am brokering animals for someone and they are drop shipping them for me b)I have imported animals coming my way but there may be a delay in getting them or c)I am out of space for more animals at my facility and the importer/breeder keeps them and drop ships them for me until I have room for more animals.
ok regardless of what your excuse is... the point is that you shouldve used some common sense and be aware of the problems that using images that are not copyrighted to you are gonna cause... I'm sure you wouldnt be happy either if joe schmoe used one of your images to advertise and animal he's got up for sale... Just use a generic image that you already have that is your own picture, and notate in the ads or what have you that the image is not of the actual animal.. people will get the idea and will be a little more accepting at the fact that you had to use a picture you already have rather than someone elses that can potentially start a legal war.

be a little more wary with what you do on the internet.. it's not that hard to do.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
Well, you can add me to the list of people that will never buy from you. Not just because you steel other peoples photos, but also because, I don't know if the animal you have in ads will be the actual animal I will be getting. That right there is enough for me to never want to deal with you

N

nora

ok i know that jeanne's comment isnt directed towards me.. lol got me a little worried cuz i was like hey! i dont steal other people's pictures.. =/

lol i hate being at work somedays....

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
nora said:
ok i know that jeanne's comment isnt directed towards me.. lol got me a little worried cuz i was like hey! i dont steal other people's pictures.. =/

lol i hate being at work somedays....

Not directed towards you, it was towards KRCD.

P.S. I hate being at work everyday :main_thumbsdown:

J

Jodi L Aherns

KCRD,Please do NOT ever use pics off of my website.If anyone wants to use them email me first,Tony Gamble does ALL of my pics on the website.Tony and I have sold pics for books,Mags,etc.We will sell pics.but please never take them to run ads for wild caught reptiles.Peolpe how steal pics should never be TRUSTED.:main_no: :main_no: :main_no: :main_no: :main_no:

N

nora

now now... play nice Marcia.... i know you're the mean old gecko lady but c'mon that was a little harsh....

ROFL!

Visit our friends