lack of oxygen = fatal

T

TheHiddenGecko

Something is really wrong with my new hatchlings. They're 4 days old and the albino escaped 2 days ago. I found her 10 mintues after I noticed she was gone. I put a cover over the tub to prevent further escapes and well, I did just that. I got up this morning to discover two very i'll geckos. I drilled 65 holes in the bin so I thought that would be enough air to get through even though i blocked the top. The only thing the geckos do is twitch. They can't walk. I hate it because the albino was the first out of 6 eggs and the het has perfect bands on the body but all the tail bands are broken. I guess the thing that gets me the most is that my baby patty is one tub over, has had a cover on her tub because she's escaped twice, and nothing has happened to her for 2 weeks. My guess is somehow they didn't get enough oxygen over the night and suffered brain damage. They're still living but a little voice is telling me that it's already their time to go. I've heard the refridgerator puts them into a coma and then you should freeze them. Is this the best way to go? Is there any possible way that these two might make it?
STA71744.jpg

robin

were the hole drilled when they were first put in the bin? or were no holes put in til today?

T

TheHiddenGecko

robin said:
were the hole drilled when they were first put in the bin? or were no holes put in til today?
The holes were drilled before I put the geckos in.

robin

can you remeber if you sprayed anything like air freshener or anything in the room? bug spray? even some stinky insence? or do you smoke? if so in the same room as the geckos?

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Is it possible that too much heat is trapped inside when you cover up the tub?

T

TheHiddenGecko

robin said:
how big of a container and how big were the holes?
It is a 6 quart container and the holes are about 3/8th's of an inch in diameter.

robin said:
can you remeber if you sprayed anything like air freshener or anything in the room? bug spray? even some stinky insence? or do you smoke? if so in the same room as the geckos?
Nothing to my knowledge was sprayed by them. If something did get sprayed I would think that more than just the two geckos would have gotten ill as well, but all the other geckos appear to be just fine. I don't smoke either.

gothra said:
Is it possible that too much heat is trapped inside when you cover up the tub?
That I'm not sure of. I wouldn't think so though because the gecko's bin right next to them is covered also and she is just fine. She's only about a week older and her bin has been covered for almost two weeks.

T

TheHiddenGecko

Now that I've given it some more thought, I think the heat may have gotten to them. It makes a big difference in temperature from when the cover is on and when it's off. I think they may have suffered from heatstroke or something along those lines. Is there any way to help them if they did overheat. I'm going to try misting the tub and see if that helps at all.

T

TheHiddenGecko

The albino just died. I guess I'll look on the bright side and say I have 6 more eggs waiting to hatch. Hopefully the het will pull through.

robin

i was going to say that if it was the heat nothing you can really do.. just next time keep an eye on the heat for the babies check it daily (the temp inside the container at the back and make sure they are misted well

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
Steve) brand new babies I always keep at the bottom of my hatchling racks, so they have the coolest-hot spot. The older hatchlings sit up a top, as they build a bit of resistance to it, than the fresh out of eggs one. Try that also next time :)

T

TheHiddenGecko

I'll try that, thanks Desire'. I'm going to be building a new rack and I'll put a smaller gap between the top of the tub so air can still get through and the babies will not be able to escape.

T

TheHiddenGecko

Thanks for your concern Jeanne. The other gecko died a couple hours after the albino.

T

TheHiddenGecko

Thanks. I was expecting it, but with the hope of it not happening so it didn't bother me to much.

Visit our friends