Lay Box in Bio Active Terrarium - Crested Gecko

sumpter45

New to the forums, please go easy!

I am very sorry if this is a age ole' question. My current set up 18x18x24 Exo Terra is a bio active with my crested females, when the next breading season comes around I was going to interduce my breeding crested male into the 18x18x24 with my crested females. I was wondering if anyone has experienced breeding in a bio active terrarium and using a lay box in the bio active terrarium. I would assume its a crap shoot if they lay in the substrate or in the lay box. Which brings me to the second part of my question, would it be better to put my breeding pairs together in a breeding box (like a tall rubber made with the necessities) during breeding season?

Thanks In Advanced
Chris

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I bred gargoyles for a few years and cresties for one year, all in bioactive enclosures. I didn't bother with a laybox. Usually you can tell when they are laying because they sit on the eggs after they lay (they're not incubating them, they just haven't moved yet). Another way to tell is to weigh the females every day. When they have lost about 5 grams from one day to the next, they have laid and then you have to dig up the enclosure to find the eggs! I missed a few times and occasionally found hatchlings in the enclosure.

Aliza

sumpter45

Thanks for replying, I have sphagnum moss on top of my substrate would that be an issue. I am worried the substrate will not be the right consistency (humidity) for the eggs and lose egg due to this issue.

Thanks Again In Advanced
Chris

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There's a good chance they will dig through the moss and into the substrate. If you're diligent about searching for eggs, they won't be in there long and a few days is not likely to be a big problem.

Aliza

Visit our friends