Laying Substrates

KelliH

I use peat moss mainly because it seems to not dry out as quickly as sphagnum moss. I used sphagnum for years however, and it is great as long as you remoisten it daily.

I've never used vermiculite in the layboxes, I always worried about the leos eating it. It probably wouldn't hurt them though, well, no more than eating the peat moss would!

N

NewportGeckos

I have used peat moss because of it's availability and popularity in laying boxes but I have since switched to cocofiber and would recommend that more than anything. Its great stuff!

LeosForLess

I have to spend a to nof time watering the lay boxes 1-2 times a day! I think im gunna switch to peat moss! Thanks guys!

brandy101010

I use eco earth. It stay moist for a few days. It gets really dusty after it dries out though so I try to keep a good Eye on it to make sure it's not drying out.

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
I use what Jeanne does. Jeanne, did you know that it is commonly sound in brick form (like the eco earth) and expands when water hits it? It easily makes 2 dozen fresh humid hides here. Ask local dart frog breeders for the bricks of sphag moss, it's really cool! :)

D

DontShootMe

I use peat moss and I just put the peat moss down and just pour water in there and then let it sit it soaks in after about 15 minutes

Visit our friends