Leaf tailed gecko information needed-

N

Ninja_Snake

I am new to Geckos Unlimited, so, hi there!
I have some experience keeping random herps over the years; Pueblan milksnake, Eastern Fence lizards, Green anoles, kingsnakes, etc. I have recently been thinking of acquiring Uroplatus(It would be phantasticus, fimbriatus,sikorae, or henkels),and would like some answers and confirmations. First of all, I would like to tell you guys my future setup. I am probably am going to get a 18x-18x-24x Exo-Terra. The substrate will be pea gravel on the bottom, Eco Earth/or cypress mulch for the middle, for the top a combination of dried leaves and a little moss. For lighting, I would be getting 13watt 2.0 UVB bulb(I have heard that they need it to properly utilize vitamin D3 which helps them absorb calcium), and will have pothos/ficus/philedendron for plants. I live in WA, so for winter I would get an infrared heat lamp. Should I get a thermostat? Or do I get a thermometer with a memory? For summer, I wouldn't heat at all. I understand that phantasticus need cool temps; 67f-73f. For the other species an average of 73+ with a nice drop in degrees at night for both species(in my bedroom at night it averages between 65-71. What temperature/humidity gauges should I use? I am inclined to use something digital. For vitamin/calcium supplement I might be using repti-cal D3. How often do I use supplements? Is this not the brand/type to get? I will probably be feeding gut loaded crickets every 3 days. Do you feed until the gecko doessn't eat anymore? Or do you go by feel? I would be feeding an average of 5 appropriate sized crickets with a few dusted. Is this the way to do it? Is there anything that you guys recommend? I would like you guys who successfully keep these incredible, enthralling species to speak up and tell me what they use and give general advice and confirm the above information that I have acquired. A long winded message, but I am eager for information. Thanks, Jake

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I am new to Geckos Unlimited, so, hi there!
I have some experience keeping random herps over the years; Pueblan milksnake, Eastern Fence lizards, Green anoles, kingsnakes, etc. I have recently been thinking of acquiring Uroplatus(It would be phantasticus, fimbriatus,sikorae, or henkels),and would like some answers and confirmations. First of all, I would like to tell you guys my future setup. I am probably am going to get a 18x-18x-24x Exo-Terra. The substrate will be pea gravel on the bottom, Eco Earth/or cypress mulch for the middle, for the top a combination of dried leaves and a little moss. For lighting, I would be getting 13watt 2.0 UVB bulb(I have heard that they need it to properly utilize vitamin D3 which helps them absorb calcium), and will have pothos/ficus/philedendron for plants. I live in WA, so for winter I would get an infrared heat lamp. Should I get a thermostat? Or do I get a thermometer with a memory? For summer, I wouldn't heat at all. I understand that phantasticus need cool temps; 67f-73f. For the other species an average of 73+ with a nice drop in degrees at night for both species(in my bedroom at night it averages between 65-71. What temperature/humidity gauges should I use? I am inclined to use something digital. For vitamin/calcium supplement I might be using repti-cal D3. How often do I use supplements? Is this not the brand/type to get? I will probably be feeding gut loaded crickets every 3 days. Do you feed until the gecko doessn't eat anymore? Or do you go by feel? I would be feeding an average of 5 appropriate sized crickets with a few dusted. Is this the way to do it? Is there anything that you guys recommend? I would like you guys who successfully keep these incredible, enthralling species to speak up and tell me what they use and give general advice and confirm the above information that I have acquired. A long winded message, but I am eager for information. Thanks, Jake

First of all, if you've never had experience with other more easily kept geckos I don't necessarily recommend starting with Uroplatus, they are VERY unforgiving of mistakes, and I'd recommend getting some experience with more hardy gecko species first, like Rhacodactylus, which have similar care requirements but are much more hardy. But, if you really want to jump directly into leaf tails heres a few recommendations:
A) an 18 X 18 X 24 Exoterra is no where near big enough for fimbriatus, henkeli or sikorae. It would be fine for a single or maybe a pair of phantasticus or ebanaui, but neither of these species is a good beginner leaf tail. I would also avoid fimbriatus as a starter species, fimbriatus has often proven to be the most difficult species of Uroplatus to acclimate properly and/or breed. I no longer keep uroplatus geckos but I did keep and breed sikorae, henkeli, lineatus, fimbriatus(kept not ever sucessfully bred) and phantasticus for several years. Of all the geckos, I had the most problems with fimbriatus. Other Uroplatus keepers have had similar results. If you want to begin with Leaf tails henkeli or sikorae or lineatus are hands-down the hardiest species, with henkeli very heavily at the front of that list. Starting with captive born animals(or at least long term captive, 1 year+) is your best bet. Phantasticus and fimbriatus are VERY difficult to acclimate and keep alive, and ebanaui can be a problem simply because of it's small size. For a single sikorae or henkeli I would go with at least something 18inLX18inWX36inT. These are very active geckos and they languish in small enclosures. Exos make good cages, I also successfully kept pairs of the larger species in heavily planted 24X24X48 screen cages, but you have to monitor humidity carefully. Plants are extremely important with these guys, as well as large branches/cork bark sections for resting places. Full spectrum lighting has proven to be useful in breeding Uroplatus, but isn't necessary for their health if all food is properly gutloaded/supplemented. Uroplatus also need complete darkness at night. I would definately recommend getting a digital thermometer and hygrometer, humidity and cool temps are very important for these animals, phants can't handle temps over 75 very well and no species does well above 79ish. And they require 70-100% humidity. Feeding items can vary, most uroplatus do very well on crickets and roaches, most will not eat worms. All food should be properly supplemented and gut loaded, as with any lizard. Rep-Cal is fine, dust ever other feeding. As far as how much to feed, it depends on the individual lizard. Obviously an adult henkeli is going to require much more food(and larger insects) than a phantasticus. I fed my adults of the larger species(henkeli, fimbriatus, sikorae) 10-20 prey items a night per lizard, and they ate all of them usually. Feed daily, or at least every other day. The smaller species can subsist on 5-7 prey a night.
So yeah, if you really want to jump directly into Uroplatus keeping(and again, these animals don't tolerate mistakes, and imports will often die on you without making any mistakes, they are that delicate) make sure you have a reptile vet do a fecal and have the animal treated accordingly for parasites(imports ALWAYS have parasites). And I really do recommend starting with henkeli, they do very well if kept correctly, and breed fairly easily. I also would recommend getting the book "Leaf Tailed Geckos, the genus Uroplatus" by Sascha Svatek and Susanna Van Duin. It can be hard to find but it is the Uroplatus keepers bible. Good luck.

Visit our friends