Leaf Tailed Gecko Questions

L-G-C

More than just leos now
So I have been wanting a leaf tailed gecko for a while now and have done some research, but I still have a few questions. I kinda want a Giant or a Mossy. Maybe a Cork Bark too, they are so cool.

One questions is what kind of cage should I get? What would you guys recomend for a cage?

Which leaf tailed gecko would be good for someone who has never owned a leaf tailed gecko? (Space isn't a issue so don't count that)

Which ones tend to be more expensive to purchase?

Those are my questions. Hope to hear some replies.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
For caging I recommend the biggest you can afford/fit. Depending on the humidity in your house, screen cages can work out well. Glass tanks also are good, taller ones preferebly, but the size the larger species(fimbriatus, henkeli) will require are going to be heavy and bulky.

As far as which species to start with, Uroplatus henkeli is by the far the most hardy of the leaf tails and the best species to start gaining experience with. They are also the easiest to breed. Sikorae is also a decent beginner species, as well as lineatus. I wouldn't start with fimbriatus or phantasticus, they are the most difficult to keep.

Cost, well, you get what you pay for. Henkeli are the easiest to find cb, but they are also the least easy species to find, so prices will reflect that. sikorae and lineatus are fairly well available, and imports tend to acclimate well if their needs are met. fimbriatus and ebenaui are probably the cheapest imported animals available, but they are also the most difficult to acclimate. If at all possible start with a cb animal, or at the very least a long term captive.

L-G-C

More than just leos now
I've seen people use tubs for their Leaf tails. Is it good for permanant housing or is it only for temporay use?

If it is permanant may I please see some pictures of the set up?

Visit our friends