Leo Gecko in a trouble

RobsterSF

Our Leo is headed for trouble. I can’t tell you how old as we inherited from some jerk who left in the freezing outdoor temps behind our car in the carport years ago. Nursed back to health and had a very happy life. Super sweet gecko. Eyesight went roughly just shy of a year ago which made feeding challenging however we managed. Now no longer will eat. It’s been weeks now. Best guess early October was last time there was any interest in food. Tail went from nice and fat to tiny now. I really don’t know what to do. Tried putting wax worms into a syringe and creating a wax worm mush while inserted gently into mouth however spit it out every time. I know they want live food but won’t have anything to do with eating anything. We really do not have a good rep vet around. The last good rep bet in our area recommended by the big rep store in our area retired. I went to the vet recommended by them supposedly specializing in reps for a previous problem and they wanted to preform surgery for an impaction. Some meal worms dipped in a little olive oil and our Leo was doing great. Fast forward and here we are. What can I do? From what I can tell no good rep vets around. I’m watching my Leo waste away. Looks healthy minus the skinny tail from using reserves and rarely opening eyes now. Prior the eyes look fantastic for a blind gecko. Tank is kept at 80 plus on hot side. Underground heat and above heat. This has always worked great and there is a cool side for hanging out. Likes to move between the zones. One thought was brumation however I dont think that is the case. Very little activity around the tank. Just soaking up the rays. What should I do? Try force feeding again? Random vets that come somewhat recommended yet never seem to be very knowledgeable for reps? Is it just my Leo’s time and I just need to let nature play out? I don’t my my little Leo to suffer and of course I want to do whatever I can. Welcome positive opinions or suggestions.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Sorry you're having so much trouble with your gecko. I wish I could tell you that if you only do this or that, it will be OK. As you said, you don't know how old the gecko is. It could be just her time, or there could be something internal that could be hard for even a reptile vet to find. My best recommendation is to keep her comfortable, try the mushed up feeders (you can also try some chicken baby food), see if she'll lick up drops of water if you put them on her nose with an eyedropper, and, unfortunately, be prepared for the fact that she is nearing the end of her life.

Aliza

Visit our friends