Leo in a tall tank

angry_geck85

Hello,
I'm new to posting but a long time user of this forums advice. For reference My dude is about 5 or 6 years old. He previously had an exo terra 36x18x18 but the bottom cracked and i have to move him over to a new set up. When his previous tank was still good i impulsively bought an exo terra 36x18x36. I'd like to make this work and my boy is fairly curious and likes to do a fair amount of climbing when the surface is wide enough. I'm thinking of doing something more bioactive as he's had a planted tank in the past but I'm wondering if this is too tall of a tank. I've added pictures of his previous set up for context of what he used to have. any advice is greatly appreciated thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20200618_163753__01.jpg
    IMG_20200618_163753__01.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200614_070523.jpg
    IMG_20200614_070523.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Even if he likes to climb, it's unlikely that he'll get all the way to the top (and you might want to insure that he doesn't. You can make lots of nice ramps and platforms closer to the ground for him (I have platforms about 8" off the ground for my leopard geckos). A bioactive tank is a nice idea, just realize that too many plants will make it more humid. Here's an article about making one for a leopard gecko:

angry_geck85

Even if he likes to climb, it's unlikely that he'll get all the way to the top (and you might want to insure that he doesn't. You can make lots of nice ramps and platforms closer to the ground for him (I have platforms about 8" off the ground for my leopard geckos). A bioactive tank is a nice idea, just realize that too many plants will make it more humid. Here's an article about making one for a leopard gecko:
Thank you for the link it's a good read and i appreciate the advice. I was looking into more of a series of ramps for the height but i definitely wouldn't be using the full height just something for some enrichment. I live in socal so it's not usually very humid here as it is but i don't wont be cluttering the tank with too many plants.

BLUSH50

Love to see their heads poking out of their hides. I would encourage you to put that height to use if you can ensure safety for you Leo. Your Leo will leap and fall without a doubt which can lead to injury or death. It will take creativity, think of levels, and slate attached to form a ramp. Hard for me to put in writing but hopefully you will get the picture.

Visit our friends