Leopard Gecko Community Project?

justindh1

I have been thinking lately about the different sub species of leopard geckos. It seems to me that in captive populations, each sub species tend to vary in pattern. Take for instance the Eublepharis Macularius Afghanicus. I see many examples in which the patterns and colors vary with a high degree in supposed pure bloodlines, or pure enough to call them such. Without actually documentation or pictures of them from their origins, how do we know they are true examples of that specific subspecies? It's the same with all leopard gecko sub species. How do we know the captive populations are true examples?

This leads me to the Leopard Gecko Community Project. What if we could find individuals that either live or go to specific regions where each sub species is to take pictures and maybe document a bit about them and their environment? Is this something that is even possible? I feel that it is possible but wouldn't be something that is done quickly. It would take time and maybe a bit of mulla but I believe it would be very worth it. There has to be individuals in these areas who are interested in reptiles in general. They might have the pictures we want or might be able to get them.

This is just a discussion at this point to determine whether this is feasible or something that would be worth trying to accomplish. I would like to get others opinions and ideas on this topic.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Sounds interesting, though I haven't heard much from people in that part of the world except for those in the US military. Gecko Time is publishing an article on Tuesday which is an interview with a guy who lives in Spain and has published a photography book called "Geckos of the world". It may be worth asking him. I'll try to remember to post his email at the end of the article before it goes up.

Aliza

justindh1

Thanks Aliza! I was doing some internet searching and there are a lot of forums dedicated to specific countries. I think that it may be a great start to try to talk to people from the middle east where leopard geckos originate. They may recognize pictures of them. Maybe we could get a list of people and have each one join a specific forum to try to research and possibly find someone who could help.

Thorgecko707

THORGECKO
The Russians have very well documented papers on the subject. They have even found each to have different scale patterns and different toe placement on the feet. It was very interesting. I haven't found anyone in the middle east but I'm trying for west India.

Visit our friends