Leopard gecko eating daily but not pooping regularly?

Eeviethegecko

Hi, I had a question about my leopard gecko. He is almost 5 months old and still eats every day but only goes to the bathroom every 2-3 days. His poop looks normal and he has a water bowl & moist hide he can drink from. He used to go every day but recently has been going every few days. Any idea why?
Thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I find that hatchlings and young juveniles poop at least daily, if not more. Once they get a little older, they don't poop as often. When I was breeding leopard geckos this was a sign to decrease feeding from every day to 2-3 times a week. It's probably fine.

Aliza

Eeviethegecko

So should I start feeding him less?
I am also dusting w/ Repashy calcium plus is every day/feeding, is this too often? I noticed he has calcium sacs

Last edited:

TexAg91

My Leo, who is almost 5 months has switched to eating about 3 times a week. Will literally go hide somewhere away from the 3 “designated “ hides just to avoid eating.
I’m not sure yet if this is due to a semi brumation or just an age related reduction in eating.
still seems a healthy size. Will weigh in the next couple of days just to make sure.

TexAg91

I can’t speak from experience. Mine also uses repashy cal+ which I provide at each feeding, and also gets a little uvb. Mine does not have sacs.
my suggestion would be to get some vitamin powder without calcium and then alternate between that and the cal+, monitoring the sacs to see if they reduce.

TexAg91

Wow! 50 gal for a single Leo? Nice!
And I thought my Exo-Terra Large/Wide was big.
I’m sure he’ll enjoy it, though don’t be surprised if he’s a little intimidated at first. Mine was.

muskiemagic

if I do every other day, should I dust with Repashy calcium plus every feeding or every other feeding?
I feed mine every other day switching between calcium WITHOUT D3 and Rapashy Plus which I use every 3rd feeding. My rotation is as follows. Calcium,Calcium, Rapashy Plus,Calcium,Calcium,Rapshy Plus and so on. Remember this is an every other day schedule. You do NOT want to be using the Rapashy Plus every feeding because to much D3 can create severe complications and even death. As for the straight calcium I recommend using this...

muskiemagic

I can’t speak from experience. Mine also uses repashy cal+ which I provide at each feeding, and also gets a little uvb. Mine does not have sacs.
my suggestion would be to get some vitamin powder without calcium and then alternate between that and the cal+, monitoring the sacs to see if they reduce.
Please cut back on the Rapshy Plus. You are offering way to much D3 especially if you are also providing uvb. Use Rapashy every 3rd feeding

Geckofan.me

so even if you don't see them licking at calcium I would recommend decreasing , i think some reptile sites show like calcium to bug , multivitamin to bug etc , hope this helps!

Visit our friends