Leopard Gecko Egg Slit/Appear to have Yolk or Gecko Outside

Nicky19

Nicky19
I've just checked on my first clutch of eggs this season to find the first one that was laid has a small slit on its side and what appears to be a yellow jelly like substance is sticking out. It's three weeks old and is definitely a fertile egg and glowed pink.

What does this mean, has the embryo died as it's certainly not close to hatching Do i leave it or see what happened inside?

Any advice would be helpful,

Nicky :main_thumbsdown:

I'l post some photos to help

Nicky19

Nicky19
Photos

DSCN1968.jpg

DSCN1967.jpg

DSCN1963.jpg

Any ideas

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
You definitely have a ruptured egg. I have patched eggs before with a piece of paper towel torn around the edges. Mine wasn't quite as bad as yours, though. The egg hatched just fine.

reptileman044

you can try patching the egg, but keep an eye on it because if the spot starts to mold than it is probly time to freeze and toss the egg because the mold will most likely kill the egg and possibly spread to the other egg.

Nicky19

Nicky19
Well i've patched it up and it isn't deteriorating, molding or smelling bad so its so far so good ! I'l let you know the outcome, lets hope its a good one :)

Nicky19

Nicky19
Thanks, an interesting read, perhaps it happened because is opened the air tight tub it is in....perhaps i'l leave it alone until the hatch date in that case!

Nicky19

Nicky19
Well the egg is still looking the same, hasn't grown but then again hasn't deflated or started to smell at 5 weeks! Fingers crossed! :)

Nicky19

Nicky19
I spoke too soon, its ruptured again :(! On the left hand side this time and the liquid was the same as last time with bits of red and green? Does green mean its mouldy as now its deflated too.....too early for hatching at 84 you think? No movement inside either from the black patch inside..any ideas? :(

roger

I spoke too soon, its ruptured again :(! On the left hand side this time and the liquid was the same as last time with bits of red and green? Does green mean its mouldy as now its deflated too.....too early for hatching at 84 you think? No movement inside either from the black patch inside..any ideas? :(

I dont think the egg is good

Visit our friends