Leopard Gecko HELP!

AuTumBlaCK115

Hi, I have a leopard gecko, 2 years of age, and she has been acting a bit strange the past two weeks. She has been keeping here eyes closed for a while now. When you pick her up she appears limp or softer than usual. Also when you would pick her up she opens here eyes partially for about 5 sec, then closes them, but here eyes seem milky/slimy looking. I have her and another girl, same age/size in a 10 gal. with black sand. I use a feeding dish so they don't eat it. I feed them meal-worms about twice a week dusted with Cals-tron calcium. I treat the water with Exo-Terra conditioner and electrolyte & vitamin D3 liquid supplements. She hasn't been 100% inactive but moves a bit slow and is losing weight. Hasn't Eaten in about a week or more. Using a 40w blue incandesant bulb and a 10w 5000k natural sunlight CFL bulb, 40w red incandesant during the night. 80-83 daytime & 75 night. Heat mat on underside(left). IDK please help i haven't got access to a vet. Thank you!

Last edited:

C C Gecko

I am not sure whats wrong with her I am sure others here will know or have an idea, HOWEVER, I see some shed on her toes that needs to be removed if you haven't already.

Holly12

Well frist off you have 2 of them a ten gallon tank? for 2 you need a 20 gallon long 2 you have black sand? if you are going to use any sand you need to get it at home depot. It is safer for the leos to be on papper towels work better for leos and looks like you need to take her to the vet.

im faster

Should Slow Down
Okay here is how to get the shed of the toes

1. give a tub and put about 1/2 inch of warm water(if it is hot the the back of your hand its to hot)

2. let him soak 10 min or so.

3. take a Qtip and spim it against the shed as you rub down the finger..
it may take a little time but its the safest way to do it

Phil

80-83 is way too low for the hotspot.. at least 90..! and if I were u I would remove the sand and replace it by paper towels or tiles. U can also drop all those water product..!

Phil

sausage

BSc AMAS
to me her mouth looks a little bit strange, a bit uneven and lumpy? not sure if its the pic
how dose it look to you?
have you tried flushing the eyes out with a sterile eye wash? incase shes had sand init?
with taking a secon look she defo has somthing going on with her mouth! this could also cause the eyes to close due to infection and pain

Pinky81

Hi, I have a leopard gecko, 2 years of age, and she has been acting a bit strange the past two weeks. She has been keeping here eyes closed for a while now. When you pick her up she appears limp or softer than usual. Also when you would pick her up she opens here eyes partially for about 5 sec, then closes them, but here eyes seem milky/slimy looking. I have her and another girl, same age/size in a 10 gal. with black sand. I use a feeding dish so they don't eat it. I feed them meal-worms about twice a week dusted with Cals-tron calcium. I treat the water with Exo-Terra conditioner and electrolyte & vitamin D3 liquid supplements. She hasn't been 100% inactive but moves a bit slow and is losing weight. Hasn't Eaten in about a week or more. Using a 40w blue incandesant bulb and a 10w 5000k natural sunlight CFL bulb, 40w red incandesant during the night. 80-83 daytime & 75 night. Heat mat on underside(left). IDK please help i haven't got access to a vet. Thank you!

Agree her mouth looks funny. Also is that sand or just dirt..looks like top soil to me. That needs to go! Its obviously moist cause you can see the moisture from the glass...that can cause resp issues as well as harbor fungus and bacteria, or cause irritation to the eyes.

If you get rid of that and place paper towels down as substrate your hot side temps will probably come up. But to know for sure you should have a digital temp probe that lays directly on the floor of the tank. Belly heat is the most important. Get rid of the lights altogether...its probably stressing her more then helping. If you want you can use a infared lamp for night time viewing. Hot side should be 90-95 at all times. and cool side whatever temp your room is.

All those liquid stuff get rid of...some of those are sketchy at best :( all you need is your calcium powder and multivitamin.
She looks a little small to only be feeding twice a week as well. Start there and see if that helps!

EDIT
Ok looked again Yes you should be feeding more then twice weekly she does look skinny. And also that Petco temp dial..useless..your only measuring air temp and/or glass temp. You need to get a digital thermo. with a probe that can lay on the tank floor.

Last edited:

AuTumBlaCK115

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!! SWITCHED HER TO PAPER TOWELS AND BATHED HERE AND SHE SEEMS TO BE ACTING NORMAL NO EYE OR MOUTH PROBLEMS! THANK YOU!

Visit our friends