Leopard gecko keeps growing

LoveReps

Hey all. Early last year I had purchased my first leopard blizzard. She is a female and when I got her she was about 7" nose to tail tip. I figured she was pretty much done growing at this point, however, one day when I took her out to hold her I noticed she looked a lot larger than I expected a normal sized gecko to be. I don't know how it took me this long to notice as I hold her at least once a week. I couldn't compare her to my normal male because he's still a juvenile, so I measured her and she is about 1mm shy of being 10" from nose to tail tip. Is this a normal thing for a female or is she carrying the giant gene? If she turns out to be a giant should I upgrade her 20 gal to a larger enclosure? Btw I am 100% sure she's a female as well. Thanks for your time guys.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think giants are more like 11-12". I just measured one of my larger leopard geckos and he's 10 1/4", and not a giant. Even if your gecko turns out to be a giant, I think a 20 gallon is adequate.

Aliza

LoveReps

I thought the giant males reached 11-12" and the giant females were around 10-11". I figured the only way a giant female was 11-12" was if it were a super giant.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
So I measured one of my larger females. She's nearly 3 years old, is 9 1/2" long and weighs 99 grams. I guess yours could be a giant, but I don't know if there's any way to know for sure if you don't know that she came from giant lines. I once had a (non-giant) leopard gecko hatching that weighed 51 grams at 3 months!

Aliza

LoveReps

She is a rescue so I wouldn't know if she's a giant unfortunately unless I breed her but I'm not going to risk her health just to test for a simple gene. I had no idea normal female geckos could grow that large. So your female for sure doesn't carry the giant gene? My female seems quite large I can't imagine a bigger gecko than her normal size! Of course she's my only adult but I guess the info I read about the sizes wasn't very accurate. Thanks for the info!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I know her genetic background, so she is definitely not a giant. The male I wrote about above is now 16 years old but in his prime he weighed about 120 grams and is still not a giant.

Aliza

Visit our friends