Leopard gecko licking at cloaca and occasionally dragging feet.

wendiigo

Hello, in the last few days, I've noticed a problem with my leopard gecko, Ashe. I have contacted our local vet (who also does exotics) but haven't gone in yet, as it will require a large fee to go in for urgent care and could potentially be something relatively normal and fixable at home, where she would be less stressed. My gecko is female and almost 6 years old, and is housed in a 40 gallon aquarium with a couple other leos that she's lived with her entire life and was rescued with. Two days ago, after shedding, she began to lick at her cloaca and has been dragging her legs. There is no stuck shed on her, and no fecal matter that would result in her needing to clean her vent. She has calcium supplemented in her diet, both on her food and in a liquid form in her water and has UVB lighting. She basks regularly while sleeping or lazing around. She's been somewhat sluggish, but so have my other geckos because of the time of year; she's usually awake, just not moving around much.

I gave her a warm soak tonight, and have noticed no abnormalities or lumps in her gut area upon doing a gentle massage. Her enclosure has a reptile carpet, so it isn't sand impaction, which I'm sure is the usual first idea of what might be wrong with these kinds of things. Is there anything you guys would recommend doing? Ashe is very dear to me and I'm more than willing to pay the fee to get her checked out, obviously, but I just want to make sure I'm not jumping the gun. Her tail is also very heavy (not excessively large, just heavy) so that might explain the dragging feet, but not the vent licking. The vet technician on the phone said it could be impaction of her food, an unfertilized egg being stuck, or some sort of prolapse. There's no redness around the area, but it may be a little puffy. She has a big appetite and has been eating just fine.

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It would be great if there's a way you could separate her so you can keep track of how much she's eating and whether or not she's pooping.

Aliza

Visit our friends