Leopard gecko lighting and heat

New gecko mom

Hey everyone! So I've had my 2 leos about 3 months now and ive been using a nano mini light figure that heats the tank to 78 to 80 degrees. Well this morning when i tried to turn it on the bulb was broken. Now I cant find a bulb for this fixture and ive been looking all day long. So in that being said #1 will my leos be ok a day or 2 without a heat lamp or light and #2 i need a totally different light fixure so what does everyone recommend? I currently have a 10 gallon tank because they were only maybe 2 months when I got them so i will be upgrading to a 20 gallon within the next month or 2.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I highly recommend you do the following:
--invest in an under tank heater which will heat the floor to the low 90's without making the air in the enclosure too hot and dry. You will likely need a thermostat with that. Zilla has one for a good price. You can use lights if you want for seeing, but they're not necessary for these nocturnal geckos. They need belly heat more than air heat.

--Unless you can be sure both are female, keep them separate. For the time being, you could always keep one in the 10 gallon and put the other in the 20 gallon when you get it.

Aliza

New gecko mom

I highly recommend you do the following:
--invest in an under tank heater which will heat the floor to the low 90's without making the air in the enclosure too hot and dry. You will likely need a thermostat with that. Zilla has one for a good price. You can use lights if you want for seeing, but they're not necessary for these nocturnal geckos. They need belly heat more than air heat.

--Unless you can be sure both are female, keep them separate. For the time being, you could always keep one in the 10 gallon and put the other in the 20 gallon when you get it.

Aliza
Thanks for the advice! Umm what if one is male and the other is female? When I first got them the person at Petsmart said thats what they were but upon doing my own research they were way too young to even tell yet. I am able to handle one of them but the ither doesn't really like to be held.

New gecko mom

Thanks for the advice! Umm what if one is male and the other is female? When I first got them the person at Petsmart said thats what they were but upon doing my own research they were way too young to even tell yet. I am able to handle one of them but the ither doesn't really like to be held.
Also by looking at the picture from when I first got them can you tell about how old they were?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's always hard to tell how old they are because they change and grow at different rates. If you have a male and a female they will likely breed and it may happen when the female is too young.

Aliza

Visit our friends