Leopard Gecko Morph and maternity question!

DoodScuba

So at my animal care job, we recently created a bioactive vivarium (~200 gallons) that was home to a tangerine male (very stereotypical tangerine) who unfortunately is afflicted with stargazing, as well as a female (I don’t know her morph but she’s grey with black freckles). I unfortunately don’t have any pictures of these two. They hadn’t ever successfully bred in their previous enclosure, and I was going through a move so I brought my female over to hang out in this kick a$$ enclosure during the transition. I want to know her morph (I’ve been told tremper albino but she doesn’t look albino to me) She’s pictured below:
5BA4F84F-67FA-47A2-B93E-9E1CE272114B.jpeg
image.jpg

So my first question is what morph is she?

But to make things more interesting, after a few months there she suddenly stopped eating and got really skinny. I got worried and took her home and she immediately fattened up.
THEN a few weeks ago we found 2 babies!!!
10925995-384F-44D5-AC49-50B968B0364D.jpeg
2E37F407-0027-4919-88E5-00D946F284F4.jpeg
All the evidence pointed to my female as the mother but then we found a third today!! Identical to the striped one! 300E18DB-949E-4DE6-A16C-49159018F8DD.jpeg
Knowing a clutch of 3 is nearly impossible, did both females successfully reproduce with the tangerine? Which female goes with which babies? Any help would be welcome. Sorry for no pictures of the other two adults.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The adult female you posted is definitely an albino. Some albinos have very dark brown bands. These bands are definitely brown and not black, so it's definitely an albino. Some Tremper albinos are very dark (they are sometimes called "Chocolate albinos"). The problem is that Bell albinos are also often very dark and I have no idea which strain your female is.
All the 3 offspring you pictured, if they come from the albino female, have a gene for albino, but they have not inherited a second albino gene from the father. There are rare occasions where a female can lay 3 eggs, or else the other female did lay an egg. Some people do incubate right in the enclosure but the hatch rate is probably lower and it's possible that there are eggs that didn't hatch buried in the enclosure. The third hatchling, that doesn't look like the other two, looks suspiciously like an enigma (is the "star gazing" male possibly an enigma?) but I can't say for sure because I'm not that familiar with enigma hatchlings. Even if you removed the male today, it's likely that there will be (or have been) more eggs and you may end up with more hatchlings.

Aliza

DoodScuba

The adult female you posted is definitely an albino. Some albinos have very dark brown bands. These bands are definitely brown and not black, so it's definitely an albino. Some Tremper albinos are very dark (they are sometimes called "Chocolate albinos"). The problem is that Bell albinos are also often very dark and I have no idea which strain your female is.
All the 3 offspring you pictured, if they come from the albino female, have a gene for albino, but they have not inherited a second albino gene from the father. There are rare occasions where a female can lay 3 eggs, or else the other female did lay an egg. Some people do incubate right in the enclosure but the hatch rate is probably lower and it's possible that there are eggs that didn't hatch buried in the enclosure. The third hatchling, that doesn't look like the other two, looks suspiciously like an enigma (is the "star gazing" male possibly an enigma?) but I can't say for sure because I'm not that familiar with enigma hatchlings. Even if you removed the male today, it's likely that there will be (or have been) more eggs and you may end up with more hatchlings.

Aliza
The tangerine male looks almost exactly like this: 505F38D9-4E16-4462-97F1-657F96C900E1.jpeg And the other female looks pretty similar to this (which according to the internet is enigma): 3A47F5E1-32AE-41B2-B0AD-85DDD8791566.jpeg
Both these pictures are from the internet.
Interestingly enough it’s the tangerine male who stargazes and the enigma female (if indeed that’s what she is) who doesn’t as backward as that may seem.

My female has long since been removed from the enclosure but the other two are still together. Maybe if they successfully breed again, I’ll be able to deduce from the way that clutch looks, which of these babies my albino female mothered. Is it even possible to get 2 different morph offspring from the same clutch? Or are clutches necessarily like identical twins where the egg splits after fertilization?

Is it reasonable to then guess that the two striped hatchlings came from my albino female and the other hatchling came from the enigma(?) female?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Each of the 2 eggs in the clutch has its own genetic material. More like fraternal twins than identical.

Aliza

Visit our friends