Leopard gecko not eating and getting thin, please help us

Mike587

We have a leopard gecko we inherited from a family member when they moved. He is at least 5-6 years old. He's always been fat and happy and been excited to be fed and touched. About a week ago we noticed that he was no longer excited about any kind of live food. His tail is starting to shrink and I don't believe he is defecating as we have been checking daily. There have been no changes in his habitat or diet, which is why we are so concerned. His normal foods are crickets and worms.

We live in an area with no exotic vet and we are trying any resource we can to help him. We don't want him to starve to death. We will try anything to save him, please help! Thank you

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Is he getting supplementation (vitamin D3 and Calcium)? Is the floor of the cage on the hot side in the low 90's? If the answer to both these questions is "yes" I recommend you contact a non-exotic vet and ask for suggestions about recommendations. In this age of remote contact via Zoom it seems to me a vet could set up a Zoom consultation with an exotics vet.

Aliza

Mike587

Unfortunately he passed away a couple days ago. I don't know if I was more disappointed that our local vets had no interest in helping us or that my post on this forum had 50+ views with only one vague reply. I'll know not to waste my time next time.

Yvonne G

Administrator
Staff member
I'm so very sorry that you lost your little guy.

Normally when you don't get any response from us it's not that we don't care, it's that we don't know how to help.

Visit our friends