Leopard Gecko Questions

le0pardg3ck0s

Hello! I am new to this forum, have some general questions about leopard geckos. I have never owned a reptile, although I have 2 dogs and a hamster. I am hoping to adopt a leopard gecko, but I need to convince my dad, and in order to do that I need to have some general knowledge. My questions:

1. Which types of insects are healthiest/best for Leos? I’ve heard mixed opinions on crickets, so I’m planning to avoid crickets. I’ve heard good things about mealworms, and I’m hoping to get some. Does anyone have any advice/tips?

2. How many times per week do adults need to be fed? ( im hoping to adopt an adult male)

3. What’s the deal with heating? Heat mats, heat lamps? I know one side should be cold and one should be “hot”, but what temperatures?

4. Is reptile carpet safe? Should I use sand? I’ve heard using damp paper towels is a cheaper way to go, is that true?

5. Should I supplement my gecko? Which kind? Brand? How many times per week?

6. What are some basic supplies I need to set up an appropriate tank? (looking at 20 gallons)

7. Does anyone have any YouTube channels, or websites that could help me answer my questions?

Thank y’all so much!

CrestedGecko29

I don't have a Leopard Gecko, but I know some valuable info about them that could help you.
For feeding, I would suggest feeding crickets and dubia roaches as a staple of their diet and occasionally feed hornworms, superworms, mealworms, or silkworms. I would suggest feeding once every 2-3 days.
For heating, I do not know exact temperatures and I suggest that you do more research, but as far as I know, either a heat mat or a heat lamp will work as long as you have a thermostat to regulate the temperatures and any lighting is on a timer to be switched off at night.
For substrate, DO NOT use sand as it will cause impaction and could cause death for your gecko. You could use reptile carpet, but make sure to clean it often as it harbors bacteria. Another great substrate I would recommend is tile, it doesn't harbor bacteria and is easy to clean. I would recommend getting a type that has some texture. You can also use slate stone as a substrate. If you use paper towels, you will have to replace them daily.
You should supplement your gecko with both calcium and reptile supplements. I do not know exactly how much or how often, but I know it is very important for your gecko's health.
If you are setting up a 20 gallon ( I would recommend an Exo Terra), start with a substrate, then add 2-3 hides, one on the cool side and a humid hide, as well as an optional warm side hide. Also, I would suggest adding some decor to make things look better and add enrichment opportunities. Also, add a shallow water dish and a calcium dish. Finally, add the heating and lighting elements.
Many youtube channels could help you out and I recommend looking at various videos and channels to find out exactly how to care for your gecko.

I hope this helped you out!!
Good luck with your new friend!!

xtinanard

Hello! I am new to this forum, have some general questions about leopard geckos. I have never owned a reptile, although I have 2 dogs and a hamster. I am hoping to adopt a leopard gecko, but I need to convince my dad, and in order to do that I need to have some general knowledge. My questions:

1. Which types of insects are healthiest/best for Leos? I’ve heard mixed opinions on crickets, so I’m planning to avoid crickets. I’ve heard good things about mealworms, and I’m hoping to get some. Does anyone have any advice/tips?

2. How many times per week do adults need to be fed? ( im hoping to adopt an adult male)

3. What’s the deal with heating? Heat mats, heat lamps? I know one side should be cold and one should be “hot”, but what temperatures?

4. Is reptile carpet safe? Should I use sand? I’ve heard using damp paper towels is a cheaper way to go, is that true?

5. Should I supplement my gecko? Which kind? Brand? How many times per week?

6. What are some basic supplies I need to set up an appropriate tank? (looking at 20 gallons)

7. Does anyone have any YouTube channels, or websites that could help me answer my questions?

Thank y’all so much!
Hi! So exciting that you are getting a Leo!! I recently got my first pet as well and did extensive research before I purchased him. As far as I know, here are the answers to your questions:

1. Dubia Roaches are considered the healthiest option for your leopard gecko. I bought mine online and keep them in a tupperware in my closet. I also feed mealworms regularly.. both are very good for your gecko, but dubias can be harder to find depending on where you are located. Just try to mix it up every once in a while so your gecko doesn't get bored with just mealworms! I also have fed mealworm pupas, and the occasional superworm as they are a lot bigger and tend to be a little less healthy.

2. I also adoped an adult male and he is 2 years old! I feed him once every other day or every two days depending on his eagerness to eat. For example, if i feed him on Monday and he only eats a few and then becomes disinterested, I will feed him on Wednesday a slightly bigger meal. Some owners will only feed their leos once every 2/3 days... it really depends on how eager your guy is! Just make sure you are using the right supplements/calcium and switching between with and without D3 to make sure your guy is getting all the vitamins he needs ;)

3. The hot side of your tank should be about 90 degrees. make sure whatever you choose to heat with that the temperature is regulated with a thermostat that will turn on and off as the matt/lamp reaches optimal heat. One thing i know is to stay away from heat rocks because they can burn your gecko. I use a matt myself and have had no problems with it staying at my desired temperature!

4. I do know that sand is NOT safe for your gecko as they can accidentally ingest it and get impaction, which can cause death. Reptile carpet is debated amongst owners because the geckos toes can get stuck in it and get pulled off, but I have seen people use it and their geckos are fine! I would recommend as a beginner to use either paper towel or untreated kitchen cabinet liner as your substrate to begin with... its very easy, clean and cheap to replace and causes no harm to your gecko! Just make sure you are not using damp towels for the whole tank. Your humid hide is where you want the paper towels to be damp to help your gecko shed!

5. If you are not using a UVB bulb, you should alternate supplementing with pure calcium without D3 and calcium with d3. Repashy Calcium Plus is a great option. You can also keep a bowl full of pure plain calcium in the tank and your gecko will supplement himself as he needs. I tend to alternate feeding with calcium, then the next feeding I will feed calcium with D3, and then the next feeding just plain feeders.

6. A 20 gallon tank is perfect for an adult gecko! The basic things you need are at least 2 hides, one on the hot side and one on the cool side. You also need a humid hide that your gecko will go in when he needs to shed. This can be made by cutting out a hole in a basic tupperware container and lining it with wet paper towel. I usually spray my humid hide three times a week with reptisafe because they can also drink the droplets out of their humid hide. I also have several pieces of cork bark in my tank propped up because my gecko loves to climb! Just make sure whatever enrichment you choose is safe and stable so your leo doesnt fall or get spooked. You should also provide water treated with Reptisafe so that your leo has access 24/7 to water!

7. A few really great Youtubers that I learned a lot of my information from are Jessica's animal friends, Elle's Reptiles, The Turtle Girl, and Go Herping. They all have really informative guides that you can follow along and pick and choose what care you think would be best for your animal!

Good luck and I hope you are able to get a Leo soon. My guy is very happy and healthy and we love him so much!

Christina

Visit our friends