Leopard gecko refusing multivitamin

linkj154

I have a 9 month old leopard gecko that absolutely refuses to take her multivitamin supplement. I have tried different brands on different insects and nothing works. Could this harm her health in the long run? If I put the supplement on the feeder insects food and have them eat it, or feed the insects extremely nutrient dense foods would that also allow my gecko to get the nutrients that she would get if she ate insects dusted with a multivitamin?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Dip your finger in water, then dip it in the supplement and spread it on the gecko's mouth. It should lick the supplement off.

Aliza

linkj154

That didn't work unfortunately, she just wiped it off on the substrate and decorations. Should I be worried about long term health issues?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It may be worth it to try some other brands. Otherwise, you may have to get creative: mix a little supplement into some baby food chicken and see if she'll lick it up? squish a cricket and put some on the cricket guts?

Aliza

linkj154

I have already tried multiple brands, but I'll try mixing it with baby food or squashed bugs. What flavors of baby food are safe for leopard geckos? Also I know geckos really like waxworms, but they can be addictive and cause geckos to refuse other insects. As a last resort, would it be safe to feed her waxworms coated in the multivitamin once a week, or is the risk of her getting addicted too high?

linkj154

I tried giving her waxworms coated with the multivitamin and she refused those too. I mixed some honey with the vitamin supplement and put some wax worms in the dish with the mixture. I am thinking if she eats them after they consume the mixture she will get the multivitamin in her system that way. She will of course also eat the honey inside the waxworms too. I am currently gut loading the waxworms with the honey and supplement, but I won't fed it to her unless I know it's safe. Can the honey make her sick or hurt her in some way?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't think small amounts of honey are a problem. She's pretty picky! I think just about any kind of baby food should be OK, but I'd recommend going with something like chicken since they're really not veggie eaters, Good luck,

Aliza

linkj154

Ok, thanks for all your help. She normally eats any insects I give her and has a great appetite too. She just really dislikes the taste of multivitamins. Thanks again.

linkj154

The waxworms actually died as they were gut loading so that won't work. I purchased a liquid multivitamin and put some on her nose and lips, but she shook it off, and licked a little bit and spit it out. I put the liquid multivitamin on all of the types of insects I feed her including the treat insects, and the baby food and she refused it all. I talked to the vet and she doesn't know what to do. The only thing I haven't tried is force feeding, but I really don't want to do that because I am afraid of injuring her or causing her to lose trust in me. I recently watched a youtube video where someone mentioned leopard geckos going through a "stubborn phase" as sub adults or young adults where they have these kinds of behaviors. She is 9 months old right now. I got her back in August and she was good about taking her multivitamin until about 2 months ago. Could this just be part of a phase?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's possible and it's not as if she will suffer if she doesn't get supplements for a few months. Maybe back off and try again in a few weeks or a month.

Aliza

Visit our friends