Leopard Gecko UVB question

EddieLizzard

Hi everyone, I'm new here but have had a leopard gecko (Eddie) for about 11 years now? Over the years I would like to think we've taken better and better care of her as we've learned more about nutrition and habitat requirements. We think she is probably 13 or 14? She seems to be healthy and happy as far as we can tell!

We haven't had a light on her enclosure, and follow recommendations for supplementing. But I've been hearing about benefits of UVB lighting, so I'm thinking we might try some lighting and adjust her supplementing accordingly.

I dug up the tube style fluorescent light hood that came with her original tank (which was very small and has since been improved). Looking at it now, the light would have been way too strong for her first tank, but I'm thinking it might actually work for her current tank? The light bulb is a Zoo Med Repti Sun UVB 5. I know the recommendation is for UVB 2 for leopard geckos, but her tank is a 20 gal Tall style with a metal screen on top. So the light will be about 15" from the top of where she might bask, plus passing through the screen, which I know reduces some of the light.

So I would guess this might actually be about right? But having trouble finding specific info on this. Wanting to make sure the actual quality of the light doesn't degrade with distance, just the intensity. Also not wanting to blast her too much! I've also heard if your tank isn't long enough to have a gradient of lighting it's best not to have it, but she has three hides to choose from, and no other lighting. I could always add some flat pieces of cork or something to add more shade as well.

Or is it just not even worth messing with a good thing, since she seems to be doing well with what we're currently doing?

TheGeckoDekko

Well, I don't think a UVB (light) light would be best considering they are nocturnal creatures, and they are very sensitive to light. A heat lamp would be much better in that case because heat is a necessity for leopard geckos. Although research says UVB is quite good for them, helping produce Vitamin D3, improving their immune system, and health. They don't need UVB light but, it can help. I'd say the best of both worlds is to get a UVB heat lamp.

Also, fluorescent light gives off very little heat so if you don't have a heating pad under the terrarium, don't rely on that to be their source of heat.
So ultimately, if they are in good condition now I think they'll be fine without the UVB. :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Arcadia does have a light that's particularly made for nocturnal reptiles. I don't think a 5.0 would be a problem for a leopard gecko. I worry more about providing too much heat from above which tends to dry out and heat the air and the gecko can get dehydrated. Presumably you have had an under tank heater for the last decade. My oldest leopard gecko is about 16 1/2 and still going strong.

Aliza

EddieLizzard

Thanks, yes I currently have an undertank heater with a thermostat. I guess I was wanting to make sure the light it wouldn't be weakened so much by the screen or distance that D3 would be impacted, or too bright to the point of causing problems. I am only going to keep it on a few hours morning and evening. Sounds like it should be ok.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you're not going to depend on the UV to provide the required D3 (and you shouldn't, in my opinion) then I don't think it's a problem.

Aliza

EddieLizzard

Do you think there is a risk of overdoing the D3 with this lighting? I've seen people only give D3 once a month when using UVB.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You could monitor how often your gecko seems to be out basking and let that be a guideline. Remember if you're depending on the UVB to provide any D3 you will need to get a new light every 6 months or so (unless you have a light with different recommendations).

Aliza

Stryker

I tried UVB and I noticed when the light was on the leos would miss their strikes when hunting, so I don't think it does there eyes any favors. I'd stay away from lights, just natural light so they know when it's day and night.

Visit our friends