Leopard Gecko Wants to Eat But Can't???

zecon44

My little leo (less than a year old) hadn't been eating for a while but then all the sudden wanted to again. But every time I try and feed him he sticks his tongue out and the worm/cricket just kinda... flops out. Dead or alive. It's like he's accidentally chewing on his tongue? He had his moist hide, inferred bulb, some cool rocks with paper towel for liner, a little cap of calcium (recently added) and otherwise is a healthy A+ gecko. Sheds fine. Poops fine (when he does). Is their something wrong with his teeth? The tip of his tongue is red. That's all I can really see.

He manages to get down 2 or three before I decide it's enough because it seems very uncomfortable. But he's super xcited about food.

I saw someone else have the same issue but they never responded to their own thread.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to GF. Have you been supplementing with calcium and vitamin D3 before recently? If not, it's possible that the gecko has metabolic bone disease (MBD) which is making its jaw soft and giving it a hard time actually chewing the feeders. If the gecko has been properly supplemented, then it may be a different problem. Here are some things you can do:
--try the recipe for leopard gecko slurry here:
Golden Gate Geckos Information
It's a nutritious puree that you can feed by syringe

--Make sure the gecko is getting calcium and vitamin D3. A good supplement is Repashy calcium plus

--Be sure the floor temperature on the hot side is in the low 90's.

--Please seriously consider taking your gecko to a reptile vet: Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians

Aliza

wicked gecko

Acpart already covered the belly heat part but I was wondering if you have an uth? Most times a light alone isn't enough to give proper belly temps which they need for digestion. Sounds like you have more going on than just that though and I agree you may want to have your Leo checked out if her other suggestions don't help. Russ

Visit our friends