Leopard Gecko with an Odd Palate

Most places I've seen say ALL leopard geckos LOVE superworms. Most places also say most leopard geckos turn their noses up at calciworms. So, being me, I bought 100 superworms and 25 calciworms. I didn't realize this at first, but 90% of the calciworms were DOA... but... they were refrigerated so I thought they were just asleep... as soon as I lowered a calciworm into the tank with my index finger and thumb, Loki went CRAZY! He ran over to my hand as fast as he could, snatched the worm out of my hand(biting both fingers in the process) and proceeded to shake the the asleep worm like crazy before eating it. I fed him at least 5 more and his approach did not let up. Ok, I thought, he's just really hungry today! So I cracked open the superworms and offered one to him. He stalked it for a long time, but when he got close enough to eat it, he sniffed it, closed his eyes and walked away. I tried again and again and again and nothing but making the superworm smell like a calciworm could make him eat it. A few days later I suddenly realized I had never checked to see if the calcium worms were alive(uh oh)... so after leaving the remaining 15 out of the fridge for a long time... only about two were wiggling... I threw the rest away. Why would my gecko prefer to eat tiny, cold, DEAD, calcium worms over superworms? Also, he wont eat anything thats not calcium covered! Why is my gecko so weird?!?! How can I get him to eat them? Ive got 90+ left...

heres a picture of loki!
1f406f17be8bc19013a346c1ea43159e.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I could never get my kids to eat vegetables when they were little, and this is no different. They eat what they eat and that's usually the way it is. Maybe you can find someone on craigslist who wants some super worms.

Aliza

Alceste

I have an adult male that I have tested by mixing same size superworms and mealworms in his feed dish. He will only eat the mealworms and leave the supers behind. It's incredible. The taste, close eyes, and turn away in disgust reaction is the same. He is my picky eater and the only leo I have that does this. I breed my own superworms because I find them way easier to produce than mealworms, so he is my special case animal that only eats dubia roaches.

Thanks for the input guys, but I've got good news! I think my Loki was a bit scared of them when they crawled quickly towards him because I put them in a bowl they cant escape out of one at a time and he gobbles them up. It takes awhile, but I've only got about 50 more left so he'll be back on his crickets soon :)

Visit our friends