Leopard gecko with white spots on head

Eeviethegecko

Hi, I found these white dots on my leopard gecko’s head. It’s been a week or two since her last shed and these dots appeared within the last day, I also noticed this last time she shed, about a week or two later. I was just making sure it wasn’t some kind of skin condition or anything like that :) Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Abby

Attachments

• E0FF95AA-4FC7-495D-B745-5D7607464C27.jpeg
    E0FF95AA-4FC7-495D-B745-5D7607464C27.jpeg
    795 KB · Views: 13
  • CAF1ED41-4998-4661-987C-039425868AD0.jpeg
    CAF1ED41-4998-4661-987C-039425868AD0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

Eeviethegecko

Thanks! Yes I have tried to wipe it off, and it didn’t come off, she does make a huge mess with her calcium dish, so that’s what I thought first as well.

BLUSH50

Thanks! Yes I have tried to wipe it off, and it didn’t come off, she does make a huge mess with her calcium dish, so that’s what I thought first as well.
Providing lots of information is the best way for people to help you. I would like to warn you that looking at a picture does not compare to hands on and up close vet assistance. It looks so much like a powdery substance. This is just to cover the basic husbandry.

How do you read humidity in the
enclosure(what type of hygrometer)?
What is the humidity in the cage?
Do you provide a humidity hide?
Is the humidity hide in the warm end?
Does your Leo use the humidity hide?
What supplements do you dust with and how
often (please be specific)?
What insects do you feed?
What do you feed the insects?

Providing a picture of the enclosure is always
best because important details can be missed.
For example: An open log with a wet paper
towel will not hold the necessary humidity. Your
Leo may also not use it because it does not
feel as secure as the others.

It’s been a week or two since her last shed and these dots appeared within the last day,

I am aware of this above, however some people just don’t notice things right away.

Eeviethegecko

-I use a circular hydrometer (I’m sorry I don’t know what they’re called)
- The humidity is between 50-60%
- Yes, I have a humid hide
- The humid hide is sort of in the middle, it’s as close to the warm side as it can be
- She doesn’t use that much, but definitely when shedding and I’ve seen the dirt she kicks out
- I use Earth pro A dusted every feeding, she has a calcium dish in the enclosure and I use a UV light
- I feed dubia roaches and mealworms
- They are fed every night with either carrots or bell peppers and sometimes cucumbers
Here is the picture of the enclosure (It’s 50 gallons)

Attachments

• 9A761C9B-F078-4293-B06D-9B3FB4C23C92.jpeg
    9A761C9B-F078-4293-B06D-9B3FB4C23C92.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7

BLUSH50

How old is she?
How long have you had her?
What type of UVB bulb?
How often do you feed her?
Earth pro A only?

Last edited:

Eeviethegecko

She is 1 year old
I’ve had her for 8 months
I use arcadia shadedweller 7%
I feed her every 2 days
yes, I only dust with Earth pro A

BLUSH50

First, there is always a chance this can be fungal. This needs veterinary assistance right away. Keep track of the spots and make sure it’s not spreading. A picture of all the spots can help you notice progression.

Purchase a hygrometer with a probe. The probe will allow you to place the probe with a piece of electrical tape inside the humidity hide wall(not on the wet substrate). Only while reading it, then you remove it. You want it to be at least 70%.

Earth pro A- I looked at their website and it doesn’t specify how much A the product has? It may not contain enough by itself. This is how it’s recommended:

Earthpro A at each feed
Calcium pro mag at every 4th feeding
Revitalise D3(optional) at feed 6 or 8
Shed support during shedding

I thought my rotations in the past was crazy. This is enough to drive someone to drink, however I do understand why. It’s your choice if you want to follow the full recommendation and see if it helps.

It could be nutritional especially when you feed only 2 insects. I recommend adding other insects. Crickets, silkworms, hornworms, phoenix worms etc. I would also add a grain product that contains 17 to 20% protein and vary the vegetables a great deal too.

How are you providing heat?
How are you reading the temperature?
What type of thermometer?
Dimming thermostat or thermostat?

Last edited:

BLUSH50

Revitalise D3(optional) at feed 6 or 8

I would definitely add this aside Earth pro A. This will provide a back up dose of vitamin D3

Eeviethegecko

Thank you for your help! The spots have gone away as far as I can tell. I have used revitalize d3 before however it’s hard for me to find right now, so I will look into it more. I did try offer more insects, but these are the only ones she likes (other than hornworms which I cannot keep alive!) I use a dhp on a dimming stat with a probe thermometer and a temp gun.

BLUSH50

Thank you for your help! The spots have gone away as far as I can tell. I have used revitalize d3 before however it’s hard for me to find right now, so I will look into it more. I did try offer more insects, but these are the only ones she likes (other than hornworms which I cannot keep alive!) I use a dhp on a dimming stat with a probe thermometer and a temp gun.
You’re welcome. Glad it’s gone!

Visit our friends