Leopard geckos and coronavirus

hannahmontana

A few things I would like to get the communitys take on:

- Can leopard geckos be easily exposed to the coronavirus? Can they carry it? What about other reptiles?

- Should the pet stores be forced to close how should I go about finding live crickets? Want to think about a solution for potential months of not having access to fresh food for him.

Hope you are all staying safe out there

LoveReps

So far there is no evidence that humans can give this virus to their pets. Leopard geckos do not carry this virus. As far as I know, the main carriers for the virus is mammals and avian animals such as certain species of birds but this isn't proven to be limited to them. There was a suspicion going around that snakes were the source of the virus but that has yet to be proven. If you or your family members do not have the virus and since your gecko lives inside, it would be highly unlikely for your pet to be infected if it were possible, however, you should continue to take the necessary precautions of preventing/treating the virus like necessary. If you are worried about leaving the house for crickets, or if pet stores begin shutting down due to the virus, you can easily purchase crickets online from Amazon, eBay, or any pet website that ships live feeders.

Last edited:

Visit our friends