Leopard Geckos: should I hatch males or females? Or both?

Elk

At some point or another, probably not for a couple years even, I'd like to breed leopard geckos. I have a normal female and would like to get a super snow mack or total eclipse male. That's besides the point, but I just get obsessive about researching things.

When the time comes, I understand that different incubation temperatures lead to different amounts of male/female offspring, but I was wondering what the advantages are of either option? I figure if you want one to mate to a gecko you already have it would make sense to want one of the opposite sex, but besides that, what reasons are there? For those who have bred/sold them, does one group tend to sell better than others?

Thank you!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
When I was breeding, I incubated at 82 to get females and got about 95% females. My reasoning was that if someone wanted to buy a pair of juveniles that weren't definitively sexed, they'd be most likely to get 2 females. One season I incubated at 84 to get a mix. I spent the whole season looking at gecko bottoms with a 60x jeweler's loupe. It was miserable! My eyes are old, so maybe you'd do better, but I went back to all females after that summer.

Aliza

Visit our friends