CaitD87

Hi! So, I have two leopard geckos: Luna & Weasley. I am desperate for help with what to do, here is the story: in early December I took Luna to the vet because I heard a slight click in her breath and was worried it was the start of an RI. The vet (who was clearly inexperienced and mishandled her) gave me a 7 day course of an antibiotic (I don’t remember what it was) and said if she didn’t get better I should take her to another vet in Denver. she never did improve but she also never got worse. In January, I took her to a second vet - he took a look at her and declared her healthy. He said “it could be anything or it could be nothing” and that he didn’t want to treat her unnecessarily. He said if she stops eating I should bring her back.
SO now we’re up to May, she has been normal and seemingly healthy with a good appetite until now. She suddenly stops eating and I take her to a THIRD vet. This vet xrays her lungs and sees they are inflamed. Luna then receives 11 ceftazadime injections, one approx every 72 hours - so over about 5 weeks time. She never improves, she starts to seem worse. I’ve been feeding her critical care every day - she only VERY occasionally eats insects on her own. And meanwhile my second gecko, Weasley, developed the same click. He started the shots too and he seemed to deteriorate rapidly while on treatment. What is going on?!?
So today I take them back and she says we can try oral baytril and I can give them each .06ml every 3 days (they both weigh about 90g). I was under the impression that oral antibiotic treatments are more commonly prescribed daily, and she was like “yea you can do that if you want”...which is a confusing response.
so, I have enough baytril to give them a daily dose, but I have no idea what advice to follow at this rate. Do I give it every 3 days? Or give it daily? I’ve been to 3 vets, none of whom have helped or been successful in treating this at all and I’m having a hard time knowing who to trust. I’m at a loss. Sadly, I will likely consider euthanizing Luna if she does not improve on the baytril - it’s not fair for her to continue to suffer anymore. Please help!!! Any thoughts, advice, experience with oral baytril dosage, ANYTHING. I’m desperate. Thank you.

Attachments

• 8796D97E-8351-4730-B596-02B0CF703589.jpeg
    8796D97E-8351-4730-B596-02B0CF703589.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 4CDECA0B-5B60-4FB2-93E6-E5E61883ADA1.jpeg
    4CDECA0B-5B60-4FB2-93E6-E5E61883ADA1.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think the problems you're having are way beyond what a non vet can handle. Is there a vet school in the Denver area? Sometimes there is more cutting edge treatment available at an animal hospital connected with a vet school. At some point, I think you may have to choose the vet you're most comfortable with and go with them.

Aliza

Bliss13

How are they doing now? If it happened to both of them and neither really improved with antibiotics I would be suspicious of a inhaled foreign body such as substrate, dust, dirt, or even calcium powder.

CaitD87

How are they doing now? If it happened to both of them and neither really improved with antibiotics I would be suspicious of a inhaled foreign body such as substrate, dust, dirt, or even calcium powder.
Unfortunately I had to euthanize both of them. Luna in July and Weasley in October. My vet didn’t think there was anything else we could do as they were not responsive to any treatments. I never did find out the cause.

Bliss13

I'm so sorry. That is sad to hear. I wish they could have figured out the cause at least in case it could be avoided in the future.

CaitD87

I'm so sorry. That is sad to hear. I wish they could have figured out the cause at least in case it could be avoided in the future.
Thank you - it was really sad but they were suffering and it was the right thing to do I think. I wish I knew too - now I feel really terrified to get another!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you do get another, get one from a breeder rather than a big pet store. Clean your current enclosure completely. At the very least, clean the tank with sprayed water, then sprayed hydrogen peroxide, then sprayed vinegar. You can also take it outside (weather permitting) and use ammonia. Clean all the hard surfaced bowls and hides and replace the porous ones. It's possible it was just an unresponsive bug that one caught from another. If you feel up to it, I encourage you to try again.

Aliza

CaitD87

If you do get another, get one from a breeder rather than a big pet store. Clean your current enclosure completely. At the very least, clean the tank with sprayed water, then sprayed hydrogen peroxide, then sprayed vinegar. You can also take it outside (weather permitting) and use ammonia. Clean all the hard surfaced bowls and hides and replace the porous ones. It's possible it was just an unresponsive bug that one caught from another. If you feel up to it, I encourage you to try again.

Aliza

Aliza
I got both my previous gecks from a breeder...I would deff do the same if I try again! Thank you for the cleaning suggestions I appreciate it. I was thinking of doing a 5% bleach solution on absolutely everything perhaps? I used to clean all bowls and hides in the dishwasher on sanitize mode.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
That could be OK too. I use ammonia because my geckos are crypto positive and ammonia is supposed to be the cleaning agent of choice for that, but you're in a different situation.

Aliza

Visit our friends