Let's get a little info

NakedSun

Hey all,

I'm new to the site, I'm here to really educate myself (and perhaps gain a new reptilian friend). I actually head up a petcare department and in general like to make sure I know what the heck I'm talking about when I find animals homes. In my quest to gain info about the reptiles we house I have fallen in love with the African Fat Tailed Gecko we have. He's a darling and literally scurries up to me every time I go near his housing.

ANYWAY, before I bring him home I want all the information I can get.
What's the minimum tank they can be in. There's a ton of taller tanks out there and I'm having difficulty finding one that fits. I've heard whispers they need 20G and I just wanted to clarify. I would LOVE to make the housing look interesting, but I do know that a lot of substrate that is loose can be harmful.

Basically - pump me full of info if you have the time :p

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
In general, your best bet would be to google "african fat tail care" and read care sheets. Also, read throught the fat tail posts in the forums here. Here's the short version: minimum size for 1 fat tail 10 gallons. I feel they're a little more likely to do well in a smaller space than leopard geckos because they are more retiring and seem to prefer to spend most of their time in their hides. I keep mine in lightly planted tanks (haworthia and aloe seem to do best as plants) with coco fiber substrate. I use expanded clay balls (hydroton) and mesh for drainage (check out blackjungle.com for specific instructions) in 3/4 of the enclosure. I put the heat pad on the other side and use ceramic hides (that I make) with ceramic bottoms so the geckos don't burrow down on top of the heat pad and burn themselves. I have had no problems with substrate ingestion.

Aliza

Visit our friends