Life is so depressing right now..

LizMarie

..so i thought i'd get some new pets :D

I had in mind of getting something that was low maintaince, nice to look at and fun but didn't need my full blown attention like a cat or dog, etc. P.S. plus i wanted it to be cheap!

A few weeks ago my mom found a small tank. I originally planned to put a betta in that tank but it ended up being a 5gallon (16x8x10.5) terrarium
16x8x10.5 so I thought maybe I could find the smallest every hermit crab and let if live in there, what do you think?

And of course a nice little betta! :D

LizMarie

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
A five gallon would be fine for a hermit crab or a betta. I have a betta and have had hermit crabs in the past, both are easy low maintenance pets. Only real difference is that you can handle the crab.

Hope things get better for you.
-T

LizMarie

i had hermits before but i was young n didn't know what i was doing, lol.. they some how survived over 2 years in my care. now that i'm older and have the handy dandy internet I'm better off.

With hermits do i necessarily need a heater bc they're temps seem pretty low and if i do what kind should i get?

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I don't think you need a heater, they do fine at room temp. If you do want to use one get a very small UTH, They sell 8 watts I believe in mos petstores.

LizMarie

thanks.. by the look of it all my animals will outlive me or grow up with any future children I have, lol..

I'm doing my research now because i knew nothing before so I'm reading http://hermit-crabs.com and it's giving me a headache! I didn't know there were so many facts and i just found out some need salt water to drink ?!

LizMarie

that's what makes a crab that pincher!! lol.. i remember i had a little teeny tiny one that i thought was absolutely adorable! then my mom wanted to "surprise" me and bought me this HUGE hermit crab that was like the size of my hand. I was terrifide but then i got used to him and feel in love! He was so active and would keep my up all night banging his huge shell around the sides of the tank.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Just a thought here from an armchair psychologist* but... getting a pet because you are depressed may not be the best idea. Adding responsibility (even a small amount) and incurring costs, obtaining something that inherently has the capability to fail to fulfill your expectations (perishable things can... be like that) and investing in it the burden of hope...

Pets of any kind are a commitment. One that you should probably think on and make a decision regarding when you are in a good clean mental space, not when you're depressed. Pretty much any decision made while depressed is suspect, but those involving live animals should probably be given additional scrutiny.

*not really, although Skinner had some interesting ideas. I usually regard sociobiological behavior models as being far more accurate and evidenced.

LizMarie

Pets make me happy! :) Honestly every pet I have was obtained during a certain time in my life that I wasn't feeling my best and they seemed like some type of therapy I still have them and they keep my mood up but I have an extra terrium I thought I wouldn't let go to waste, lol.

I do have my limits and don't buy animals on impulse just because I feel like it, it's something that I've thought about researched, have budgeted into my expenses and have made the commitment to take care of them.

Visit our friends