Lighting

do4358db

hello all

I'm on the verge of getting my first Leapord gecko, I've got an under the tank heater as the primary heat source. For lighting im looking at using a t5 5.0 UVB light. My question is will this work? In some places I have seen that using a UVB light as the light source can lead to a vitamins D overdose, but ive also seen people say that it will not cause an issue. Thoughts?
Thank you.

kspiers1127

personally, geckos do not need UVB light to survive, but from what I’ve seen, it will help improve their immune system. I’m a new parent as well and she does perfectly without one. Hope this helps!!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Since there's no way to know how much each leopard gecko will actually be out "basking" when the UV light is on, and there's also no way to know definitively exactly how much D3 a leopard gecko needs (to the best of my knowledge) and, if you dust the feeders, it's hard to tell whether the gecko eats them before they groom it all off, I feel that use of UV and feeder dusting should be fine and don't worry about overdoing. I think the most likely way to over-supplement is to keep the calcium with D3 in the enclosure.

Aliza

Visit our friends