Locking your rack systems?

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
Hey guys,

This may be a rather stupid question, but do you know of anyway to "lock" your racks? IE: not allowing the tubs to slide out without a glass door over the front. Let me explain why I am asking..

I believe I have the evilest cats in existance. They not only know how to giggle our door open with their paw, like opening a door with a credit card. However the first thing they do when they come into the room is go straight for the racks. Now anyone who knows me, knows we sold our collection awhile back however we do have two albino balls. They slip their paws along the inside between boxes, hook them in the back and pull them out. Then, they grab the snakes and book for it! Even if I am there next to them, they are up there pushing their paws in there.

So besides cutting off their paws or feeding them to a snake....(lighten people, I mean to be joking here...) how can I lock my bins so they can't slide forward? I was thinking of a hook of some sort and wanted others opinions.

I have melamine racks now, but plan to be changing to expanded pvc racks in the near future. So, please let me know what will work for both?

Oh any anyone who tries to suggest water in a spray bottle or vinegar and water in a spray bottle...One it works for the other, he will take on gallons of water without flinching. Evil cat. :main_angry:

L

leonewbie

I'm not sure how to lock the racks from the front...maybe feeding the cat to the snake is the best option :D (j/k)

BGalloway

It would require some modification of the rack I think, but why not have a bar on a hinge that goes across each row of tubs. It is attached to one side of the rack and hooks/locks onto the other side. To pull out a tub you would first have to undo a lock and then move the bar out of the way. You could drill on hinges or something like that for the bar to rotate on.

OneFootedAce

yeah I forgot whre i saw it, but some1 has a poll that runs from the top of the rack to the bottom, so theres no way to slide out (of course the poll is removable y lifting it up),and theres a poll where each row of tubs may be (vertically). It sounds smart just in case something does happen.

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
Sorry for not responding soooner. Thanks for all the suggestions, I was more curious about if anyone did it before. I saw the rod that went over the front initially, however I don't like the idea of having to take out a huge piece of metal, just to pull out one bin. I would like something that is for each one of the bins individually.

My rack system is no different than anyone elses, just some ledges with bins.

How would Ralphy help? He uses freedom breeders. Completely different system than I do. I would love some freedoms though :(

I think I will just go to the hardware store and wander around until I stumble on something that works. Or, feed my cats to the snake.

Last edited:

Visit our friends