Loose substrate? No loose substrate? Bioactive?

NearMeGeckos

For loose substrate argument-
It offers the gecko much needed inritchment.

It's the only way to do bioactive.

It's natural.

Other people do it with success.

I've done it with sucess.

Loose substrate is the only way to have an attractive leopard gecko habitat.

Against loose substrate argument-
Loose substrate is unsafe and can cause impaction, respiratory infections, and eye infections.

It makes a huge mess.

It's unnatural.
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Alot, if not all of the main arguments on both sides are just plain stooped, only half true, or unproven by scientific studies.

I have done many experiments with loose substrate (cocofiber and soil) and no loose substrate.

The gecko made no behavioral changes negative or positive in either loose or solid substrate. One of them did dig, but who's to say it was not trying to get away from the substrate? Or was it displaying "natural behavior"?

As far as health changes go, one gecko with loose substrate got an eye and respiratory infection from the dust despite my humidity and temp being spot on (He did recover after being placed back to a no loose substrate habitat and going on antibiotics). Another got an impaction, due to that was bleeding internally, and had to be put down (vet could not save her).
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

I consulted my reptile savvy vet of 40 years experience. She did not recommend loose substrate and was against it for the following:

Risk of respiratory and eye infections.

Risk if impaction.

Is very unnatural, in the wild the substrate is compacted unlike in their tank.

Petstores are the main supporters, especially of sand.
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

I do not use loose substrate or recommend it because of my negative experience with it and my very experienced vets disapproval. I do recommend bioactive though. Wait, what!? Bioactive is loose substrate lol! Nope, not really, bioactive is "living" "with effect and substance". This is commonly done by putting live plants and a clean up crew in your geckos habitat. You can definitely do this without your gecko having access to the substrate. Bark, moss, and pots are good concealers of substrate. Air plants don't need substrate at all and can be glued or placed anywhere in your geckos habitat. My isopods love the moss in Sam's tank and thrive in there. Here is Sam's new upgrade: 20220323_144634.jpg
As you can see, he has no access to any loose substrate but his tank has a cute "enchanted forest" vibe to it. It's very airy and open looking with the light bottom, yet there are plenty of hiding places. The bark and moss were colected outside here in MN (US). 20220323_144734.jpg
As you can see, I've concealed his ugly hide and vitamin dish in the big slab of bark. 20220323_144726.jpg
He loves chilling and exploring everything.
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

I hope this helped you, have a great day!!

-Samwise Gamgee
-H.P.

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Interesting and creative ideas! What kind of lighting are you using? I ask because I have never had success with moss doing well in my day gecko enclosures. They just don't seem to get enough light. Below is a link to another pair of articles addressing leopard geckos and bioactive enclosure issues:

Aliza

NearMeGeckos

Embarrassed lol, but just using an LED. The tank also gets outdoor morning sunlight as I leave my window open in the spring through fall daytime, so it gets light from that. UVB could replicate that.

Moss normally does pretty good with shade. Maybe your issue is to much or not enough water? Moss and ferns both are pretty finicky with water.

I love the substrate idea in the articles with the hard shell on top replicating compacted substrate. I'll have to try that!

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It does seem to me that any moss that does fine outside in a rainy New England spring should do OK in my cages that get misted every day. I think there's not enough light. I hope yours works out better than mine.

Aliza

Pb48

For loose substrate argument-
It offers the gecko much needed inritchment.

It's the only way to do bioactive.

It's natural.

Other people do it with success.

I've done it with sucess.

Loose substrate is the only way to have an attractive leopard gecko habitat.

Against loose substrate argument-
Loose substrate is unsafe and can cause impaction, respiratory infections, and eye infections.

It makes a huge mess.

It's unnatural.
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Alot, if not all of the main arguments on both sides are just plain stooped, only half true, or unproven by scientific studies.

I have done many experiments with loose substrate (cocofiber and soil) and no loose substrate.

The gecko made no behavioral changes negative or positive in either loose or solid substrate. One of them did dig, but who's to say it was not trying to get away from the substrate? Or was it displaying "natural behavior"?

As far as health changes go, one gecko with loose substrate got an eye and respiratory infection from the dust despite my humidity and temp being spot on (He did recover after being placed back to a no loose substrate habitat and going on antibiotics). Another got an impaction, due to that was bleeding internally, and had to be put down (vet could not save her).
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

I consulted my reptile savvy vet of 40 years experience. She did not recommend loose substrate and was against it for the following:

Risk of respiratory and eye infections.

Risk if impaction.

Is very unnatural, in the wild the substrate is compacted unlike in their tank.

Petstores are the main supporters, especially of sand.
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

I do not use loose substrate or recommend it because of my negative experience with it and my very experienced vets disapproval. I do recommend bioactive though. Wait, what!? Bioactive is loose substrate lol! Nope, not really, bioactive is "living" "with effect and substance". This is commonly done by putting live plants and a clean up crew in your geckos habitat. You can definitely do this without your gecko having access to the substrate. Bark, moss, and pots are good concealers of substrate. Air plants don't need substrate at all and can be glued or placed anywhere in your geckos habitat. My isopods love the moss in Sam's tank and thrive in there. Here is Sam's new upgrade: View attachment 80938
As you can see, he has no access to any loose substrate but his tank has a cute "enchanted forest" vibe to it. It's very airy and open looking with the light bottom, yet there are plenty of hiding places. The bark and moss were colected outside here in MN (US). View attachment 80939
As you can see, I've concealed his ugly hide and vitamin dish in the big slab of bark. View attachment 80940
He loves chilling and exploring everything.
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

I hope this helped you, have a great day!!

-Samwise Gamgee
-H.P.
I have researched, and am part of a Facebook gecko group, and have done a lot of looking on Substrate. This is the most in depth and clear. I appreciate your backing this up how you did and the way you said it...especially "listening to your gecko"

Visit our friends