Losing weight, skinny tail, extremely pale

LeftHeavy

I need some advice about my leopard geckos. They're both females and about 2 years old, and generally pretty healthy and active. Over the past couple months they have lost a bunch of weight, and don't seem to be interested in food. Carter is usually bright yellow and orange. For the past couple months she's gotten really pale and her tail has gotten really skinny. Normally, she is a fatty, and extremely food motivated... super excited and races out as soon as food shows up. Aswith most geckos, when she sheds the skin underneath is super vibrant and bright. This last time, her new skin was almost the same color as they turn right before they shed... pale and barely yellow anymore. Her body seems a little fat or swollen to me. She is still passing stool.

Prowler is a little less vibrant, and doesn't seem to care about food either. Her tail is not as skinny as Prowler's, and hasn't lost as much weight as Carter. She is a bit more active, and doesn't seem fat at all.

Their cage is about 88 degrees on the undertank heating side and 79ish on the other side. They have stone tiles for substrate, cut to the shape of their tank, which we take out and scrub every couple weeks. Every other cleaning, we then put them in the dishwasher with no detergent.

We have been feeding the geckos a mix of crickets and superworms which have been dusted in Repashy Calcium Plus.

I'm not sure what's going on... any ideas?

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
How long have they been together? It's possible they are ovulating in which case they often don't want to eat and sometimes lose weight. If you're really worried, take them to a reptile vet.

Aliza

LeftHeavy

How long have they been together? It's possible they are ovulating in which case they often don't want to eat and sometimes lose weight. If you're really worried, take them to a reptile vet.

Aliza
They have been together for the better part of their 2 years. I wondered about the possibility of them ovulating, but have never experienced it before...

If this continues, I will probably take them to a vet.

Jacobsherps

I would flat out say dont keep them together. I have not had a good experiance with keeping and genders together. I tryed it a number of years ago when i had to leos both female and same size.they could fight till the death if i didnt stop them. One other possibility is they dont feed as much during the winter. If its to cold you maby should take out the tiles and put repticarpet. If you separate them and house them in 20 gallons that might help

Visit our friends