lumps under gecko arms?

kaelana.f

My leopard gecko Larry has a pretty rough medical history, and this is my last resort. Just for some context, I got Larry from petco when I was a young and inexperienced lizard/pet owner. He is almost 5 years old.This is entire experience has been difficult for me, and I could use some advice. About 3 years ago, I noticed Larry’s right eye looking cloudy. I took him to the vet, and it turned out he had scratched his cornea somehow in his enclosure. After a long time of refusing to eat and struggling to give him his antibiotics, eventually he became fully blind in one eye and began to eat and act normal again. All was fine until a few months ago, I noticed a scratch and a lump forming on the left side of his face. After spending lots of money at the vet already, I researched and used gecko-safe neosporin to try to help heal it (the vet said doing this was a good idea). However, the lump did not go away, and we had to pay for another vet visit. The vet wasn’t quite sure what the lump was, but Larry was prescribed antibiotics to make it go down in size. When one round of those antibiotics didn’t work, we tried a second bigger dose which also did not work. However despite the large growth on his face, Larry’s behavior has not changed at all. He still acts normally, eats normally, and goes to the bathroom normally. After more emailing with the vet, he wanted to bring Larry in to cut into the lump on his face to see how it was. However, after all the previous vet visits and medications, the price for this procedure was out of our budget. So, I’ve continued to monitor the growth to see if it changes in size/color, which it has not. Recently, I’ve noticed lumps behind his arms which after some googling I learned that they are air pockets. I was trying to figure out what may have caused this, because he is a healthy size. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this or what I could do to help fix the problem?

327B945E-F0BF-4308-898E-4A101F2B5312.jpeg DE194CD4-44EF-4AE6-8A71-D5AF028A260F.jpeg

BLUSH50

Hi,
Armpit swelling is not something I have ever experienced and so this is a suspicion only:
excess of supplementation, fat or slow metabolic rate due to under heating

Ask your vet if a fungal infection is possible due to the lack of antibiotic response. Google acremonium and trichosporon fungal keratoconjunctivitis in a leopard gecko. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links. Make sure to show it to your vet.

Another thought: a reptile will not likely respond to medication if there are not kept in the proper conditions. Heating and hydration is very important. Make sure this is all correct. You can share full details here if you'd ike. Picture of the entire tank, temps and humidity. What do you feed and supplement that you use including frequency.

If it's an abscess, an excision is necessary. I would stop using a red bulb due to the fact that they can see it. It can interfere with their photoperiod.

kaelana.f

Hi,
Armpit swelling is not something I have ever experienced and so this is a suspicion only:
excess of supplementation, fat or slow metabolic rate due to under heating

Ask your vet if a fungal infection is possible due to the lack of antibiotic response. Google acremonium and trichosporon fungal keratoconjunctivitis in a leopard gecko. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links. Make sure to show it to your vet.

Another thought: a reptile will not likely respond to medication if there are not kept in the proper conditions. Heating and hydration is very important. Make sure this is all correct. You can share full details here if you'd ike. Picture of the entire tank, temps and humidity. What do you feed and supplement that you use including frequency.

If it's an abscess, an excision is necessary. I would stop using a red bulb due to the fact that they can see it. It can interfere with their photoperiod.
Thanks for the response. I looked into some of the things you mentioned, but the eye problem was definitely a scratched cornea and that problem is entirely fixed now. The only thing is that it makes it harder for him to eat, so his diet is currently only mealworms because he is unable to catch crickets (because he is blind). As for the abscess, the cost for the procedure the vet suggested performing is out of my ability at the moment. Because he is eating and acting normally, I am not as worried as I am about the lumps under his arms. Furthermore, his tank conditions are as they should be, humidity is a bit higher but I live in an area where it is more humid in the summer time so it is hard to control. Thank you for your feedback!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There has been a range of theories about those lumps over the last 20 years or so. When I first started in the hobby it was actually considered to be a sign that the female was in breeding condition. I have also heard, as mentioned above, that it could be due to over supplementation. Given all then stuff your gecko has been through, in my opinion, I wouldn't worry about the armpit lumps.

Aliza

kaelana.f

There has been a range of theories about those lumps over the last 20 years or so. When I first started in the hobby it was actually considered to be a sign that the female was in breeding condition. I have also heard, as mentioned above, that it could be due to over supplementation. Given all then stuff your gecko has been through, in my opinion, I wouldn't worry about the armpit lumps.

Aliza
Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t sure if there is anything I can do to help fix this issue or the one involving the abscess? The only reason I’m not as concerned about the other things is because he’s completely normal acting and is such a calm little guy. When he was prescribed antibiotics, the vet told us to rub his mouth gently to get him to gape so they could be administered but he was so chill we couldn’t even get him to do it lol.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
When I have to administer antibiotics, I sit back on the couch with the gecko on my stomach. I gently hold it, and put one drop of antibiotic on its nose. It will usually lick it off. I also use the hollow needle that can attach to the syringe, so, if necessary, I can wedge it into the side of its mouth.

Aliza

BLUSH50

You're welcome Kaelana. Tne growth on the side of head is of most importance. Antibiotic will not work on an gecko abscess because the abscess is thick and encapsulated. It must be cut out completely. It can grow and interfere with his vision among other things. Did the vet check the inside of his mouth? If not, I would find a new vet.
Feeding only one type of insect can lead to nutritional deficiency such as vitamin A. Best to offer variety. You can wiggle the cricket and other insects in front of his good eye.

Can those wooden hides cause splinters if they rub their face against it or are they coated/fake wood? Best to use slate/stone if so.

Visit our friends