Making Pairs?

JdiLb

I'm getting into the lizard world more and more, and it's a bit confusing compared to what I'm used to. Do you guys normally line-breed, or cross breed morphs/any to make new variations? I'm looking to pick up a nice pair of fatties at a show I'm going to soon, I'm just at some what of a brick wall - with dominance, recessive, etc traits. I'd like to make some interesting offspring but I'm not sure if I should try to cross breed different morphs, or cross breed say, caramel x whiteout zulu, then see the results and further complicate the genetics as the generations go on, for example
Season 1 : caramel x whiteout zulu
Season 2 : Result of 1 x 1 (line breed for stronger traits) OR say, Result of 1 x white sock
..etc, you get the point.
Obviously I'd have to look more into the dominance of those traits but just for example.
Or do you guys normally take morphs x morphs, or morphs x normal like this:
zulu whiteout x caramel zero = ?
Zulu Whiteout x caramel = ?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm quite confused with the dominance of these traits, I can't find much about what takes over what, what the phenotypes would be, etc.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It all depends on what you want to make and what you want to try. The genetics of AFT's as I understand it, are not as well figured out as those of leopard geckos. My suggestion would be the following;
--make sure you have a good understanding of what dominant, recessive and line bred means
--look at fat tail morphs and find those you like. Find out about each morph's genetic profile by:
asking questions on the forums
sending PM's to breeders that seem to know what they're doing
reading JMG reptiles' site which has good info
--based on the results of your research above, decide on a project you'd like to start with
--buy stock whose pedigrees you are sure of and keep detailed notes about what you're doing.

Aliza

JdiLb

It all depends on what you want to make and what you want to try. The genetics of AFT's as I understand it, are not as well figured out as those of leopard geckos. My suggestion would be the following;
--make sure you have a good understanding of what dominant, recessive and line bred means
--look at fat tail morphs and find those you like. Find out about each morph's genetic profile by:
asking questions on the forums
sending PM's to breeders that seem to know what they're doing
reading JMG reptiles' site which has good info
--based on the results of your research above, decide on a project you'd like to start with
--buy stock whose pedigrees you are sure of and keep detailed notes about what you're doing.

Aliza

Thanks. I know the terms from breeding other animals, I just need to ask more about which traits are which, and getting the profiles.

Visit our friends