Male or Female?

Lena

I question all things.
This has been a question I've had since the day I bought Fonzie. Now he's (or she's) about 6 months old and there is definately something showing, but the question is.. What is it? I have looked at pictures, but the shape of the bulge is somewhat different, lending itself to both sexes. Maybe someone with a little more experience can help me..

fonzsex1.jpg

fonzsex2.jpg

fonzsex3.jpg

fonzsex4.jpg

S

stano40

If the beardie is a male you should notice at the base of the tail, above the vent area an indenture (concave) appearance in the middle and on each side of the indenture a slight vertical bulge, that's a male.

sexingmale.jpg

Also along the the width of the back legs femoral pores (raised bumps) should be noticeable.

The femoral pores are highlighted by the red circles and an arrow pointing to them on the photo.

femoralporesdescription2.jpg

In a female you won't find the indenture instead you will notice above the vent area and at the base of the tail a bulge. This is because females lack the hemipenes.

sexingfemale.jpg

In some cases the difference can be slight in juveniles.

From the photos it does look like you have a female.

Lena

I question all things.
I know what to look for, but it can get tricky..

There are femoral pores present but I've been told that they can be found on females.

Fonz is only 5-6 months old, hopefully in time more will develop for a definite answer.

Visit our friends