Manasa, the one eyed Ball Python

Riyo

Pet Human
On occasion, I take in reptiles as rescues. Today, I picked up a female ball python.

As described by the previous owner, "Monkeywrench" was her son's snake. She was kept in a 100 gallon tank with wood chips and a water bowl - no hides. Her young son lost interest in the snake and began to neglect her. The mother, who loves animals but is terrified of snakes, continued to buy "Monkeywrench" live rats and throw them in with her unsupervised.

The snake went off of food and it looks like a rat got a hold of her pretty good. She also sounds like she has a respiratory infection.

The stuck shed on her head was removed but there are still thick scabs on her nose (I left those alone). The left eye appears to be shriveled up.

When I get paid this week I will be taking her to the vet for a check up.

Luckily, she has great body weight. She's also very tolerant and gentle despite all my poking and prodding.

I have renamed her Manasa. New life, new name.

manasa.jpg

manasa2.jpg

manasa3.jpg

After the stuck shed was removed...scabs were not messed with, they are not ready to come off
side3.jpg

top2.jpg

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
That's terrible to see snake suffering irjury from nelegct. That makes me sick in stomach. :( I may not like snakes but i have soft spot for snakes. Glad you took her in.

Taquiq

JK Herp
That is really sad. :( I hate to see animals neglected like that. I'm glad you took her in.

Riyo

Pet Human
She's doing a bit better. She's on Cefazolin injections once a day and is getting polysporin on her head, too. Thanks for the well wishes. :) I hope to be posting "got well" pictures soon..

Lupe

It wasn't good that the mother left live rats with the snake unsupervised but I'm kinda glad the mother kept feeding the snake instead of just letting her starve.

Riyo

Pet Human
It wasn't good that the mother left live rats with the snake unsupervised but I'm kinda glad the mother kept feeding the snake instead of just letting her starve.

She was off of food because of an improper set up (Which is why she didn't eat the rat and instead got attacked.) The mom had the best intentions at heart, but the sheer lack of research is what was the kicker here.

It would take her a very long time to starve, since snakes can usually go months without food... so I have to disagree :( but she is doing better and that's all that matters

Last edited:

Visit our friends