Mazuri High Calcium Cricket Diet: a Zookeeper's Thoughts

bronxzoofrank

Hi All,
My professional experience with captive reptiles, amphibians and other creatures extends back over 4 decades, with much of that time being spent at the Bronx Zoo. For the past 24 years, I’ve relied heavily upon Mazuri animal diets, as have many of my zoologist colleagues worldwide. From turtles to elephants and hamsters to cassowaries, Mazuri formulates more carefully-researched foods than does any other company. I recently had occasion to experiment with and read about Mazuri’s High Calcium Cricket Diet, and am quite pleased with the results. In the following article, I’ll also highlight some other useful products for crickets and similar feeder insects. Read the rest of this article here: Mazuri High Calcium Cricket Diet and Other Foods for Feeder Crickets

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank Indiviglio

Akari_32

I just bought some Flukers High Calcium Cricket Diet to start up my meal worm colony, and was wondering how you thought these two products compared, and if it was even a good choice for mealies. I haven't opened the container yet, since I just used the bedding they came in start them off, along with veggies. Didn't want to open it until I knew for sure that it was a good one to use!

Olympus

Biologist & Ecologist
I would throw out anything made by Flukers, personally. Their products, especially gutloading products, tend to be very minimal in their nutritional content.

Akari_32

Too late, I already opened it :p I googled around and most people liked it. It's just a bedding anyways, as I make sure to keep fresh veggies in the tubs at all times. Right now, only the pupae are on it, and it's just a sprinkle to cover the bottom. The meal worms are still on what they came in (bought the 500 count at Pet Co as the most economical start up). This is the only dry eatable bedding available heat apparently, so I'll be going the Cheerios mix route as my colony grows.

Visit our friends