Mealworms in Bioactive Setup

JustAWookie

I've got 2 cresties in separate 18x24 bioactive tanks with 2 plants each, moss covering jungle mix sub, atop screen and hydro balls. I've got fake vines and grape wood throughout. I seed from my springtail cultures every couple weeks and I've tossed some other 'pods in for cleanup. I still get a faint ammonia smell and I'm wondering what else I can use for cleanup crew to help break down ureates.

I was thinking of tossing a bunch of mealworms or earthworms in but not sure of how long they will survive or be of any use. Will they eat through the mesh and get into the drainage layer? Should I just use more isopods and arthropods? The temp is around 75-76 at day and 70 at night. I mist a couple times a day to keep the humidity between 50- 70 and water the planys every few days. I would think I'd be seeing alot more springtails than I do but I think the moss hides them. There are definitely arthropods in the soil as I see them when I remove the water dish for cleaning.

Any suggestions?

JessJohnson87

I put a couple of pupating mealworms into my set-up along with earthworms, isopods and springtails. Not sure if my mealworms are turning into beetles or not, I do know the beetles will eat the poo.

Visit our friends