Mealworms

G & M Geckos

Margaritaville Tour Guide
I am having a problem with my last batch of mealies and was wondering if anyone else has had the same issues.

First I bought them from a different supplier this time.

The morning after I feed them I come back and sereval are dead and stink to high heaven. It seems that they are dieing off really fast.

I keep them in the refigerator with gut load. Also I take them out once a week let them come to room temp and feed fresh organic veggies and fruits.

They seemed to be very moist the last time I took them out so rinsed them off seperated the dead ones dried them place them in a new container with fresh gut load. They are right back the way they were two days ago. Stinky and damp.

I have never had this problem before so I am not sure whats going on.
Thanks for any information.

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
I've had this problem too, and sometimes if there is a lot of moisture in my fridge, or not enough ventalation in the container, I will notice moisture in the mealies and they start dying :(

See if any of these things are your problem, it's also possible you got a bad batch of mealies and when they die, they give off moisture..

G & M Geckos

Margaritaville Tour Guide
I think it is a bad batch as I have never had these problems before. I think I will be going back to who I was buying them from before.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
I took my last batch out of the fridge and a ton were dead, I do nto keep them on gutload but they had gotten too much moisture int hem and almost all were crapped out. Then again they have been in there for a few weeks, I take them out every 7-10 days for 24 hours to let them feed, them remove the gutload, I had a HUGE problem with die off with gutload with them in the fridge. This is the first time Ive had a big die off without gutload so Im guessing they were in there too long.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
I only buy enough mealworms to last me 2 weeks, so I don't have them in the fridge too long. I have noticed that if buy them in bulk, refrigerate them, then take them out, they die really quickly after out of the fridge.

brandy101010

I don't keep mine in the fridge. I keep them in a tupperware dresser type thing with three drawers. bottom drawer is for suppers and the next is for mealies and the top is where i put the beatles. the beatles have baby mealies which I then put in with the otther mealies. Saves alot of money to breed your own. It takes along time to get it started to where you don't have to buy more for your colony...I still run low quite often sometimes.

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
I buy about 5k mealies a month, but it's starting to climb. I probably will put in orders of 5k every two weeks from now on...

Man i remember the days when I could buy em from the pet store! :D

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't keep my mealies in the fridge. I buy 1000 at a time when I need them and supplement with mealies that I'm breeding myself. The last batch has had a higher die-off rate and instead of getting black and hard, gets black and soft with black liquidy stuff and a bad smell. I'm planning to contact the supplier to find out what's going on.

Aliza

Visit our friends